[ca.general] CA law regarding left-lane driving

In article <888@plx.UUCP> jeffh@plx.UUCP (Jeff Huntington) writes:

>The key here is "Normal flow of traffic"  A very common situation (at
>least in the Bay area) is for three lanes of traffic to be moving at
              ^^^^^^^^^
              Worst drivers in the world. Except France.

>approx. the following speeds.  Right lane: 50-55, Center lane: 56-60,
>Left lane 61-65.  Everything in moving along reasonably well when along
>comes some ya-ho flashing their lights  and cutting back and forth between
>lanes as they try to do 75.  Then, as if that isn't bad enough, they try
>to defend a position that it is their right to go 75, and everyone else
>should pull over (which means slow down) so they drive at whatever speed
>they choose.
>
>I don't think it is suppose to work that way!

Who gives a rats ass what you *think*. I did some research, as in call
a couple of police stations, and call a few cop friends.

to paraphrase:

	"You are supposed to get the FUCK out of the way of ANYBODY
	if you are in the #1 lane. Thats why its called the passing
	lane. Its not the 5 mph faster that the #2 lane, it's the
	PASSING LANE. If you are doing 70 in the #1 lane, and
	you obstruct somebody doing 75, you can be cited for
	obstructing traffic. It is not your place to judge
	somebody else, as to whether they are going too fast.
	You are supposed to get into the #1 lane to pass somebody
	then get out."

Got it nitwit ?
--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."

andrea@hp-sdd.UUCP (12/08/87)

In article <2507@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>Who gives a rats ass what you *think*. I did some research, as in call
>a couple of police stations, and call a few cop friends.
>
>to paraphrase:
>
>	"You are supposed to get the FUCK out of the way of ANYBODY
>	if you are in the #1 lane. Thats why its called the passing
>	lane. Its not the 5 mph faster that the #2 lane, it's the
>	PASSING LANE. If you are doing 70 in the #1 lane, and
>	you obstruct somebody doing 75, you can be cited for
>	obstructing traffic. It is not your place to judge
>	somebody else, as to whether they are going too fast.
>	You are supposed to get into the #1 lane to pass somebody
>	then get out."
>
>Got it nitwit ?

Stop, please, we don't need this kind of nastiness on the net!
No, I am not trying to play 'net police', I'm just gently asking
for a little more friendliness, tolerance, restraint, good manners,
humor, whatever.  I really do think it's possible to get one's point
across without resorting to name-calling like this.  If you really
can't avoid it (electronic version of Tourette's syndrome? ;@), please
have some consideration for the rest of us and use email to wage your
wars in private.

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
                "...like a song that's born to soar the sky"
UUCP     : ...hplabs!hp-sdd!andrea from
	   {ihnp4|cbosgd|allegra|decvax|gatech|sun|tektronix}
           or ...hp-sdd!andrea from {hp-pcd|hpfcla|hpda|noscvax|gould9|sdcsvax}
Internet : andrea%hp-sdd@ {nosc.mil | sdcsvax.ucsd.edu | hplabs.HP.com}
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA

chip@vaxwaller.UUCP (12/08/87)

In article <2507@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
. In article <888@plx.UUCP> jeffh@plx.UUCP (Jeff Huntington) writes:
. >
. >The key here is "Normal flow of traffic"  A very common situation (at
. >least in the Bay area) is for three lanes of traffic to be moving at
.               ^^^^^^^^^
.               Worst drivers in the world. Except France.

	Agreed!

.
. Who gives a rats ass what you *think*. I did some research, as in call
. a couple of police stations, and call a few cop friends.

	Watch it here, folks...he's got friends.

. 	"You are supposed to get the FUCK out of the way of ANYBODY
. 	if you are in the #1 lane. Thats why its called the passing
. 	lane. Its not the 5 mph faster that the #2 lane, it's the
. 	PASSING LANE. If you are doing 70 in the #1 lane, and
. 	you obstruct somebody doing 75, you can be cited for
. 	obstructing traffic. It is not your place to judge
. 	somebody else, as to whether they are going too fast.
. 	You are supposed to get into the #1 lane to pass somebody
. 	then get out."

	First of all it's NOT called "The Passing Lane"...it's simply
called the #1 lane.  There are passing lanes out there, but they are
specifically called "passing lane"(s) by virtue of the signs along the
road stating such.  You've also missed the point of the article you've
responded to in such a unique manner.  Yes, those little black and white
signs that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" mean what they say, and,
when ignored, are cause for cites.  HOWEVER what was meant in the
original posting was that when EVERYBODY is doing 40 (THAT'S optomistic)
regardless of lane, anybody trying to blast by at 70 does not have that
"right"...in fact I'd drop a rag on the idiot  for too fast for conditions,
speeding, reckless, unsafe lane change, and anything else I could think
of.  Also, if you are  in the process of passing someone via the #1
lane and someone comes blazing up behind you insisting that you pass
at 80 instead of 65, that person is  in the wrong.  You are obliged
to move right, but ONLY when it is safe to do so.

. Got it nitwit ?

	Ditto.

					Sto lat;
					Chip
             ,,
*** SOLIDARNOSC ***

PS  If you really want to carry this on, at least give the net a break
    and respond via e-mail...my path is a good one...know how to handle
    it?

--

Chip Kozy   (415) 939-2400 @ Varian  2700 Mitchell Dr. Walnut Creek, Cal. 94598
		...!ptsfa!varian!vaxwaller!chip

tims@zeus.UUCP (12/09/87)

In article <2507@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
: In article <888@plx.UUCP> jeffh@plx.UUCP (Jeff Huntington) writes:
: Who gives a rats ass what you *think*. I did some research, as in call
: a couple of police stations, and call a few cop friends.
:
: to paraphrase:
:
: 	"You are supposed to get the FUCK out of the way of ANYBODY
: 	if you are in the #1 lane. Thats why its called the passing
: 	lane. Its not the 5 mph faster that the #2 lane, it's the
: 	PASSING LANE. If you are doing 70 in the #1 lane, and
: 	you obstruct somebody doing 75, you can be cited for
: 	obstructing traffic. It is not your place to judge
: 	somebody else, as to whether they are going too fast.
: 	You are supposed to get into the #1 lane to pass somebody
: 	then get out."
:
: Got it nitwit ?

Do some more research.  Find out what the speed limit is.  I guarantee you
it's less than 70.  So if you want to break the law and speed, even by
just 1 mph, then don't demand that everybody else follow the letter of the
law and move over for you.
Got it?

mikes@mas1.UUCP (Mike Shevell) (12/10/87)

In article <1076@hp-sdd.HP.COM> andrea@hp-sdd.UUCP (Andrea K. Frankel) writes:
>In article <2507@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>Who gives a rats ass what you *think*. I did some research, as in call
>>a couple of police stations, and call a few cop friends.
>>
>>to paraphrase:
>>
>>	"You are supposed to get the FUCK out of the way of ANYBODY
>>	if you are in the #1 lane. Thats why its called the passing
>>	lane. Its not the 5 mph faster that the #2 lane, it's the
>>	PASSING LANE. If you are doing 70 in the #1 lane, and
>>	you obstruct somebody doing 75, you can be cited for
>>	obstructing traffic. It is not your place to judge
>>	somebody else, as to whether they are going too fast.
>>	You are supposed to get into the #1 lane to pass somebody
>>	then get out."
>>
>>Got it nitwit ?
>
>Stop, please, we don't need this kind of nastiness on the net!
>No, I am not trying to play 'net police', I'm just gently asking
>for a little more friendliness, tolerance, restraint, good manners,
>humor, whatever.  I really do think it's possible to get one's point
>across without resorting to name-calling like this.  If you really
>can't avoid it (electronic version of Tourette's syndrome? ;@), please
>have some consideration for the rest of us and use email to wage your
>wars in private.

That was simply lovely, Andrea, but the world can be a rough place you
know. I found Mr. Sexton's response informative and amusing.

The net is not for the timid.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
yes, this is filler

welty@sunup.steinmetz (richard welty) (12/10/87)

In article <2800@zeus.TEK.COM> tims@zeus.TEK.COM (Tim Stoehr) writes:
>Do some more research.  Find out what the speed limit is.  I guarantee you
>it's less than 70.  So if you want to break the law and speed, even by
>just 1 mph, then don't demand that everybody else follow the letter of the
>law and move over for you.
>Got it?

Actually, I know more than one police officer who will write you a ticket
for obstructing traffic even if you are travelling at exactly the
speed limit.  Often smooth traffic flow is considered much, much more
important that enforcement of a speed limit that many police officers
consider ill-advised.

In any case, when courtesy doesn't cost you anything, try being courteous
to the other drivers (this is regardless of what speed you choose to
drive at).  It's easy, and it reduces blood pressure and increases safety.

Gee, this is in alt.flame, and I'm being pleasant.  Guess I screwed up.

    -- Richard Welty         Phone H: 518-237-6307      W: 518-387-6346
Internet:  welty@ge-crd.ARPA      Usenet:    uunet!steinmetz!welty

``I know what I'm giving people for Christmas
  -- some of them thar GE toenail clippers''