[ca.general] Me Too... but for Santa Barbara!

dburr@headcrash.berkeley.edu (Donald Burr) (04/04/91)

In article <6058@ntmtv.UUCP> someone wrote:

>I am looking for information on Public Access Unix systems
>in the Los Angeles area; E-mail and USENET access required.
>
>Thank you,
>Pat

I need the same type of thing, except in the Santa Barbara/Carpinteria/
Goleta area.  Heck, I'll even take Ventura.  If at all possible, the machine
should be on the InterNet, so I can TELNET up to my account here at Cal.
Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

mjb@netcom.COM (Martin Brown) (04/05/91)

There is a USENET group pubnix.??? or ??.pubnix.??? that carries a file of
all the public unix sites.  I'm sorry I don't have a more complete name for
you, but it's outthere, and you'll just have to look around.  Look through
your .newsrc file to narrow it done.

                              - mjb -

                           mjb@netcom.com

asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin "the Chipmunk" Sylvain) (04/06/91)

Written in article <1991Apr4.010735.2365@agate.berkeley.edu>
    by dburr@headcrash.berkeley.edu (Donald Burr):

> In article <6058@ntmtv.UUCP> someone wrote:
> >
> >I am looking for information on Public Access Unix systems
> >in the Los Angeles area; E-mail and USENET access required.
>
> I need the same type of thing, except in the Santa Barbara/Carpinteria/
> Goleta area.  Heck, I'll even take Ventura.  If at all possible, the machine
> should be on the InterNet, so I can TELNET up to my account here at Cal.

Well, I wasn't going to say anything at first, since this question has
been answered before.  But I'll answer it again since it's come up more
than once, and I guess I can assume 100-500 people with the same thought
for every one who musters up the courage, time and energy to post.

In newsgroup comp.misc, periodically, (about once/month), somebody
publishes the Nixpub listing.  This listing gives you publically
accessible systems all around the country.  There's a long form with
descriptions, and a short form with just phone numbers, names and letter
codes to the services offered.  Some offer E-mail services, some offer
USENET news, some offer other services.

Either look up the old one, or sit tight until the next one comes
around.  Just scan the subject lines for "Nixpub."

As a matter of fact, _ANYBODY_ can connect to Uunet.  They charge by the
minute with use of this marvelous new technology called 900 numbers!
If I was upstairs in my office I'd look it up for you.

What?  You say you kinda wanted one that was FREE?  Well, they may have
some in your area, and they may not.  But be warned in advance that
there are two disadvantages to the free boards: 1) they're _always_
busy.  2) if, by some miracle, you _do_ manage to connect, they tend to
have already run out of disk space.  (It's kinda hard to buy equipment
when you don't charge people.)
--
=========== Opinions are Mine, Typos belong to /usr/ucb/vi ===========
"We're sorry, but the reality you have dialed is no longer in service.