[net.micro.mac] Unix to MacTerminal to MacWrite

jimb@amd.UUCP (Jim Budler) (11/12/84)

[ What is this thing called munch....]

Does anyone know a simple way to remove, or prevent the entry of
those little boxes that show up in a document downloaded with xmodem
to MacTerminal and then edited with MacWrite.  I assume they are
newlines.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

vishniac@wivax.UUCP (Ephraim Vishniac) (11/13/84)

> Does anyone know a simple way to remove, or prevent the entry of
> those little boxes that show up in a document downloaded with xmodem
> to MacTerminal and then edited with MacWrite.  I assume they are
> newlines.
> --
>  Jim Budler
>  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
>  (408) 982-6547

There are several ways.  For one, use "tr" to change all the line feeds
to carriage returns before sending the document.  Reverse this, of course,
when sending from the Mac to Unix.  The preferred way of doing business,
however, is to use macput and macget.  These provide for "Unix mode"
transfers of text, which takes care of this transformation automatically.

					Ephraim Vishniac
					Wang Institute of Graduate Studies
					decvax!wivax!vishniac

dolf@uva.UUCP (Dolf Starreveld) (11/14/84)

In article <568@amd.UUCP> jimb@amd.UUCP (Jim Budler) writes:

> [ What is this thing called munch....]
>
> Does anyone know a simple way to remove, or prevent the entry of
> those little boxes that show up in a document downloaded with xmodem
> to MacTerminal and then edited with MacWrite.  I assume they are
> newlines.
> --
>  Jim Budler
>  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
>  (408) 982-6547
>  UUCPnet: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amd!jimb
>  Compuserve ID: 72415,1200

I have never used Macterminal for file transfer yet, but I suspect that
the little boxes mentioned are the so called non existant character boxes.
In the fonts of the Macintosh is included a definition for displaying a
non-existant character (usually a small rectangle, try key-caps with shift
and option held down). This thing is displayed for every character that
you (an application) try to display, but which was not defined in the
font.
This all then leads me to the conclusion that the little boxes mentioned
are in fact some control-character. My hint is that it is a linefeed, since
the Macintosh only uses Carriage return to get to a new line.

--
			Dolf Starreveld
			Computer Science Department

			{philabs, decvax, seismo}!mcvax!uva!dolf

jimb@amd.UUCP (Jim Budler) (11/14/84)

In article <wivax.20245> vishniac@wivax.UUCP (Ephraim Vishniac) writes:
>> Does anyone know a simple way to remove, or prevent the entry of
>> those little boxes
>> --
>>  Jim Budler
>			        The preferred way of doing business,
>however, is to use macput and macget.  These provide for "Unix mode"
>transfers of text, which takes care of this transformation automatically.
>
>					Ephraim Vishniac
>					Wang Institute of Graduate Studies
>					decvax!wivax!vishniac

I'm thankful to say I got this response from several people and that
I found a copy of the sources I had picked up from net.sources a
while back.  I have compiled them and used macput with mixed
success.  The transfer has always been smooth except that I get two dialog
boxes, one saying that GetBlock failed, and the other saying the
transfer was unsuccessful.  However, so far the transfer has been
good.  The guage always goes to 100% and the file appears complete.
There must be some closing handshake error, or my setup of the Mac
is wrong.  I've tried it setup as a Mac-to-Mac transfer and not a
Mac-to-Mac transfer with the same results.  Perhaps I don't have the
latest macput/macget.