[net.micro.mac] Font edit help

sumit@sftig.UUCP (S.Bandyopadhyay) (11/20/84)

Do we still need this?

	Will some kind soul (re?)post an article about using
FontEdit and its interaction with the Font file. All I am trying
to do is edit NewYork12 (to get something else). I keep getting
Bomb-25 nine out of ten times.
	Thanks in advance.

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (11/24/84)

> 	Will some kind soul (re?)post an article about using
> FontEdit and its interaction with the Font file. All I am trying
> to do is edit NewYork12 (to get something else). I keep getting
> Bomb-25 nine out of ten times.

Bomb 25 means that you ran out of memory.  Which means that you
can't edit that font on the Meager Mac.  Give up, or get a fat
Mac, or make two fonts, each with half the characters.

--
"The number of arguments is unimportant unless some of them are correct."

Michael Ward, NCAR/SCD
UUCP: {hplabs,nbires,brl-bmd,seismo,menlo70,stcvax}!hao!ward
ARPA: hplabs!hao!sa!ward@Berkeley
BELL: 303-497-1252
USPS: POB 3000, Boulder, CO  80307

scott@normac.UUCP (Scott Bryan) (11/25/84)

In article <> ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) writes:
>> 	Will some kind soul (re?)post an article about using
>> FontEdit and its interaction with the Font file. All I am trying
>> to do is edit NewYork12 (to get something else). I keep getting
>> Bomb-25 nine out of ten times.
>
>Bomb 25 means that you ran out of memory.  Which means that you
>can't edit that font on the Meager Mac.  Give up, or get a fat
>Mac, or make two fonts, each with half the characters.
>
>--
>"The number of arguments is unimportant unless some of them are correct."
>
>Michael Ward, NCAR/SCD
>UUCP: {hplabs,nbires,brl-bmd,seismo,menlo70,stcvax}!hao!ward
>ARPA: hplabs!hao!sa!ward@Berkeley
>BELL: 303-497-1252
>USPS: POB 3000, Boulder, CO  80307

Before you toss the baby out with the bathwater ...

Michael is right about bomb 25.  However I suspect that you are not using
it correctly.  When you start the program it asks for a font file to load
and inserts the default name "System".  Well, this is a supreme goof on the
part of Apple, probably related to the fact that they used to call the
Chicago font the System font.  What the font editor is looking for is the
name of a file it created. (that the finder won't recognize as belonging
to the font editor)  These files are created with the "save font as ..."
edit menu option.

To get past the bug type anything that isn't the name of a file.  The
font editor will start up with an empty font (there will be a zero in the
upper window).  Then choose "load from resource" and type "New York" or the
name of any font that is on that diskette (in the system file).  Make sure
the old/new size is correct (if the differ the font is scaled).

I haven't got the patience to describe the entire program but I will point
out some bugs:

1) Don't make any mistakes when doing an insert character (like typing the
  wrong character code).

2) Save often

3) Use the font mover to build a "Fonts" file with some standard system
   font in it.  Then used "install font" to get your new font installed
   there.  You should use the resource mover to assign it a unique ID number
   or you will confuse it with other fonts.

If none of the above helps you get it working, send me mail and I will
send you my phone#.

Scott Bryan