[net.micro.mac] MusicWorks queries: Backup? FORTH??

bradn@hammer.UUCP (Brad Needham) (12/27/84)

In fa.info-mac, article <288@uw-beaver> you write, regarding Musicworks:
>From: Joseph I. Pallas <PALLAS@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
>
>...I would like to send a loud and clear
>message to the vendor that I don't buy programs that I can't back up.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here's my suggestion:
	1) Buy Musicworks -- I did.  It's easily worth the $80 if you
	  compare it against the musical toys made by Casio (e.g. The
	  VL-Tone @ $60).
	2) Buy "copy II Mac" so you can backup your copy-protected musicworks.
	  Copying for personal backup is completely legal.
	  Copy II Mac is available from
		Central Point Software
		9700 SW Capitol Hwy #100
		Portland, OR 97219
		(503) 244-5782
	  I bought my copy from Conroy La Point for $30.
	3) Send your signal to Hayden Software (publishers of Musicworks) by
	  writing a letter to them.  Explain what you have done & why you
	  think copy protection is a waste of everyone's time and money.
	  Such a letter is the clearest signal you can send -- it simultaneously
	  says that you like the software enough to buy it (they don't listen
	  to non-customers) and that you dislike their copy protection enough
	  to work around it (they do listen to ways they can save money --
	  e.g. by tossing copy protection).

Brad Needham
Tektronix, Inc.
Wilsonville, OR