[net.micro.mac] Mac numeric keypad

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (01/28/85)

Does anyone out there know if the Macintosh numeric keypad can be shifted
in the same ways as the vt100 keypad? I'd like to use emacs on MacDuff but
the emacs I use makes heavy use of the keypad, and I don't want to learn
different editors based on whether I'm on my terminal or my computer. Can I
use the keypad that way, or is it just a keypad?

chuq
--
From the ministry of silly talks:               Chuq Von Rospach
{allegra,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

God is a trademark of AT&T Bell Labs
---
National Semiconductor does not require useless disclaimers on posted
material that is obviously not posted by company spokesmen...

spector@acf4.UUCP (David HM Spector) (01/28/85)

Chuq,

Anything (within reason) that you can do on a vt100, you can do on Macterm.
I have yet to see it fail any of the ''standard'' tests for a vt100.

It even has the (sort of...) double wide character set.

			Dave.

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (01/30/85)

> Does anyone out there know if the Macintosh numeric keypad can be shifted
> in the same ways as the vt100 keypad?

Macterminal & Versaterm make the numeric keypad look just like
the VT100 keypad, except they support the arrow keys thereon
by use of the command key.

--

Michael Ward, NCAR/SCD
UUCP: {hplabs,nbires,brl-bmd,seismo,menlo70,stcvax}!hao!ward

sahunt@snow.UUCP (Steve Hunt) (02/03/85)

I don't know much about either the Mac or the vt100, but presumably shifted
numeric-pad keys (on the vt100) produce the same symbols as on the normal
shifted numeric keys.  If this is the case why not just solder the switches
of a numeric pad in parralel with the switches of the top row of the mac
keyboard?  It's got to be cheaper than buying the Apple add-on keypad, and
your Emacs should work as with the 100.

---
  Steve Hunt        		... mcvax!ukc!qtlon!flame!ubu!sahunt

cs2534ai@unm-cvax.UUCP (02/04/85)

<Jeff, don't forget to feed the lineater...and we're almost out of linefeed>

In article <> sahunt@snow.UUCP (Steve Hunt) writes:
>I don't know much about either the Mac or the vt100, but presumably shifted
>numeric-pad keys (on the vt100) produce the same symbols as on the normal
>shifted numeric keys.  If this is the case why not just solder the switches
>of a numeric pad in parralel with the switches of the top row of the mac
>keyboard?  It's got to be cheaper than buying the Apple add-on keypad, and
>your Emacs should work as with the 100.

I have worked with both vt100s and macs, and the numeric keypad behaves
differently from the corresponding keys on the main keyboard.

(If you have macterm, the mac's numeric keypad behaved just like the vt's,
and you can simulate the vt's arrow keys by shifting [or not shifting,
I forget which] certain keypad keys.)

One notable feature of the numeric keypad is that the shift key has no
effect on keypad numbers.  Also, the vt (and mac in macterm) can be
popped into "alternate keypad mode" (with the code "<ESC>=", I believe),
which causes the keypad keys to send specialized escape codes instead of
their usual characters.  Dec's software uses those a lot, although I
don't know that emacs does.  Finally, on GIGI terminals, all of the
numeric keypad keys plus the arrow keys are user programmable, as well
as being able to operate in "Norm"al or "Appl"ied modes (setup KP), as on
the vt100.

I recommend going ahead and buying the apple keypad.  Macterm already uses
the extra keys as a vt does, and the mac obviously CAN tell the difference.
New mac software may use these keys (with layovers, possibly) for special
functions.

I hope this info is useful to someone out there...

					-DT
				[The Deranged Terrestrial]

-----
Phone:  (505) 266-1016
USnail: David B. Thomas / 1406 Calle Del Ranchero NE / Albuquerque, NM 87106
Work:   Rocky Mountain Computers (apple dealer)
	2109 Wyoming Blvd. NE
	Albuquerque, NM 87112
Work Phone: (505) 292-2775 ask for "-DT"
UUCP:   {{purdue,cmc12,ihnp4}!lanl,ucbvax}!unmvax!unm-cvax!cs2534ai
-----
vt100 is a trademark of Digital Equipment Corporation
Mac is a trademark of MacDonanlds Family Restaurants
-DT is a trademark of Deetmire Software, Inc.
-----
"Remember, Anna, sometimes a banana is just a banana."

jss@sjuvax.UUCP (J. Shapiro) (02/11/85)

[Aren't you hungry...?]

	DO NOT solder in a keypad in parallel with your normal Mac keypad.
Aside from being foolish if you aren't proficient with the appropriate
tools, it won't work.  The VT100 does not send the same sequences from the
keypad as it does from the keyboard.  In keypad mode, the keypad keys send
escape sequences, whereas the normal keys send the normal things.

	This is a true remapping done by the terminal, and requires that the
keypad and the keyboard *not* be wired together. Also, Mac applications
using the keypad expect to get a different sequence of codes so that they
can tell whether or not the entry came from the keyboard. Look at Inside
Mac at the bitmap which tells you whether the option key was down, whether
the command key was down, whether the shift key was down, whether the caps
lock key was down, and WHETHER OR NOT THE INPUT CAME FROM THE KEYPAD.

	I do not mean to flame at the original poster, but it is crucial that
his honest mistake be corrected before people demolish their macs.

Jon Shapiro
Haverford College