[net.micro.mac] Help with DA's requested

ihw@hou5a.UUCP (I Walkenfeld) (02/19/85)

[...]

I'm having some trouble with a few of the desk accessories that I've
downloaded from the net recently and would like some help.

1.  I have not been able to get the following to work at all; I used
    Resource Mover to install them into System -
	idle = this is supposed to blank out the screen and bounce
		around an icon.  Nothing happens when I select it.  The note
		accompanying it said it should contain ICN# 3, but all I
		found was the DRVR.  (The checksum and everything was OK)
		Am I installing it incorrectly?
	explor = Nothing happens.

2.   I've been using the Desk Accessory Mover (1.4) to extract desk accessories
     that were originally resources, not DAM documents.  Most DA's come out
     OK.  Calendar, insect, and journal cannot be extracted from System
     successfully using the DAM - when extracting them, they get
     initiated as though I had selected them from the apple menu,
     and DAM reports an error.
     Is there something about these DA's that makes them unsuitable
     to be made into DAM documents?  Is there a way around it?  I really
     would like to keep them as DAM doc's; it's so much more
     convenient.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Mail or followup okay, as you see fit.

Thanks in advance,

				Irwin Walkenfeld
				AT&T Information Systems Laboratories
				Holmdel, NJ
				...{ihnp4 | ???}!hou5a!ihw

roy@nlm-vax.ARPA (Roy Standing) (02/22/85)

>     I've been using the Desk Accessory Mover (1.4) to extract desk accessories
>      that were originally resources, not DAM documents.  Most DA's come out
>      OK.  Calendar, insect, and journal cannot be extracted from System
>      successfully using the DAM - when extracting them, they get
>      initiated as though I had selected them from the apple menu,
>      and DAM reports an error.
>      Is there something about these DA's that makes them unsuitable
>      to be made into DAM documents?  Is there a way around it?  I really
>      would like to keep them as DAM doc's; it's so much more
>      convenient.

I have noticed the same problem.  While I don't know why it happens I did
discover a 'work-around'.  DAM offers to name the accessory 'Desk Accessory'.
The solution is to accept this default name, then exit DAM and rename the
accessory to whatever name you choose.  This has always worked for me.

Good luck.
                                      Roy A. Standing (roy@nlm-vax)
                                      National Library of Medicine
                                       Lister Hill Center

tlm@byucsb.UUCP (Myers Tim ) (02/26/85)

In article <> ihw@hou5a.UUCP (I Walkenfeld) writes:
>[...]
>
>I'm having some trouble with a few of the desk accessories that I've
>downloaded from the net recently and would like some help.

>2.   I've been using the Desk Accessory Mover (1.4) to extract desk accessories
>     that were originally resources, not DAM documents.  Most DA's come out
>     OK.  Calendar, insect, and journal cannot be extracted from System
>     successfully using the DAM - when extracting them, they get
>     initiated as though I had selected them from the apple menu,
>     and DAM reports an error.
>     Is there something about these DA's that makes them unsuitable
>     to be made into DAM documents?  Is there a way around it?  I really
>     would like to keep them as DAM doc's; it's so much more
>     convenient.

I can't remember exactly where I read this, but I think it was in the Desk
Manager part of Inside Macintosh where it states that Desk Accessory names
*should* begin with a null then be followed by the accessory name.

I have a gut feeling that many of these wonderful accessories that get passed
around do not comply with this suggestion in IM.  The result is that DAM goes
crazy when it gets a filename that exactly matches the accessory name.  This
is not the case with accessories that were properly created like the stock
Calculator.  Calculator is really "<null>Calculator" in the System resource.

My only fix so far is to name the DAM save file something different than the
accessory name.  Anybody know how to insert a null in accessory names?

Some other problems happen with DAM when DRVR numbers collide, but that is
another story...

Tim Myers

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (02/27/85)

>> Calendar, insect, and journal cannot be extracted from System
>> successfully using the DAM - when extracting them, they get
>> initiated as though I had selected them from the apple menu,
>> and DAM reports an error.
> I have noticed the same problem.  While I don't know why it happens ...

In my experience, this happens when the file in which you are trying to
save the accessory has exactly the same name as the desk accessory itself.
I generally suffix the initials "DA" to the filename, e.g., "Calendar DA",
when saving it; the problem then does not occur.

						E. Roskos
						jer@peora.UUCP

darin@tmq.UUCP (Darin Adler) (02/27/85)

> >> Calendar, insect, and journal cannot be extracted from System
> >> successfully using the DAM - when extracting them, they get
> >> initiated as though I had selected them from the apple menu,
> >> and DAM reports an error.
> > I have noticed the same problem.  While I don't know why it happens ...
> In my experience, this happens when the file in which you are trying to
> save the accessory has exactly the same name as the desk accessory itself.
> I generally suffix the initials "DA" to the filename, e.g., "Calendar DA",
> when saving it; the problem then does not occur.

This problem is due to the fact that a desk accessory is opened with the
same Open call that files are opened with.  If a desk accessory exists with
a given name, a file of that name cannot be opened.  The solution is to prefix
all desk accessory names with a null character (ASCII 0).  This is done
automatically by the rename feature in the Desk Accessory Mover (at least in
version 4.0).  So the SOLUTION is to rename the desk accessory before doing
anything else with it.  Rename it to the same name it had, and the Desk
Accessory Mover will add the null character.  (BTW, you should not have this
problem with an accessory that was named correctly to start with, e.g. the
Apple standard desk accessories.

Darin Adler
!ihnp4!tmq!darin