[net.micro.mac] "Alice" program on BCS Disk #2

tdn@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA (Thomas Newton) (03/25/85)

What is the current legal status of the "Alice" program on Boston Computer
Society disk #2?  When this program first appeared, the consensus seemed to
be that it was a graphics demo and not a commercial product.  Recently, I
have heard rumors that Alice has been expanded and turned into a commercial
program called "Through the Looking Glass".  However, I have never seen this
program in any computer store, so I don't know whether or not it exists.

In particular, is it appropriate to treat "Alice" like the Resource Editor
(which can be passed around, put into libraries, etc.) or like MacTerminal
(which can't be passed around, etc.)?

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (03/26/85)

In article <320@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA> tdn@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA (Thomas Newton) writes:
>What is the current legal status of the "Alice" program on Boston Computer
>Society disk #2?
>In particular, is it appropriate to treat "Alice" like the Resource Editor
>(which can be passed around, put into libraries, etc.) or like MacTerminal
>(which can't be passed around, etc.)?

The program is very definately in the same category as the pre-beta and beta
MacTerminal and MacWrite.  In other words the release version is so
much better that the pre-release version is not worth arguing about.

The legal status for all those is also the same.  Apple owns them.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.