[net.micro.mac] Typing Mac cloverleaf symbol

klc@lzmi.UUCP (klc) (03/12/85)

I am trying to output the Mac control key symbol - the cloverleaf - from
the keyboard. I cannot find the correct hidden character from the various
fonts. Does anyone know which key/font/point size to type?

Also has anyone had the following problem with 1.4 version of the DAM:
sometimes when I execute "save holding area," I get an error that says
that the disk is full (in fact there has been at least 100K left). Also,
the 1/2 written file cannot then be tossed into the trash as I get
the dialog box that says that it is either locked (not in the Info dialog)
or in use! Help!

Thanks in advance.
--
Karen L. Cohen
AT&T-IS Lincroft (201) 576-2450

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (03/13/85)

In article <338@lzmi.UUCP> klc@lzmi.UUCP (klc) writes:
>Also has anyone had the following problem with 1.4 version of the DAM:
>the 1/2 written file cannot then be tossed into the trash as I get
>the dialog box that says that it is either locked (not in the Info dialog)
>or in use! Help!

To erase the file, eject the disk it is on and then pull the dimmed icon
into the trash can.  When you insert the disk again you can trash the file.
Of course if the disk is your startup disk you have to reset or starup
another disk before doing this.
>--
>Karen L. Cohen
>AT&T-IS Lincroft (201) 576-2450
>The views expressed above are mine alone & do not reflect those of my employer.

--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
 (408) 982-6547
 UUCPnet: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amd!jimb
 Compuserve:	72415,1200
 The Source:	STW265

darin@tmq.UUCP (Darin Adler) (03/15/85)

> I am trying to output the Mac control key symbol - the cloverleaf - from
> the keyboard. I cannot find the correct hidden character from the various
> fonts. Does anyone know which key/font/point size to type?
>
> Also has anyone had the following problem with 1.4 version of the DAM:
> sometimes when I execute "save holding area," I get an error that says
> that the disk is full (in fact there has been at least 100K left). Also,
> the 1/2 written file cannot then be tossed into the trash as I get
> the dialog box that says that it is either locked (not in the Info dialog)
> or in use! Help!

The Mac cloverleaf symbol is actually one of 4 HARD to type characters in
the Chicago character set.  It is ASCII 26 ($1A) and there is no corresponding
key on the Mac keyboard.  One of the ways to get this character is to put it
into the Notepad File.  This can be done with FEdit or any similar program.
Simply open the Notepad File, and put a 1A in the first byte of the file.
When you open the Notepad, you will see a box (missing symbol).  If you copy
and paste this box into any application that supports fonts (MacWrite) and
change it to Chicago-12 you will see a cloverleaf symbol.  There are three
other symbols like this (all around 20-30 decimal in ASCII) that you can
look for: check mark, diamond, filled diamond.

If you reboot the disk (or eject it, throw it into the trash, and reinsert it),
the file will no longer be "in use" and you will be able to delete it.

Darin Adler
ihnp4!tmq!darin

briand@tekig1.UUCP (Brian Diehm) (03/19/85)

> I am trying to output the Mac control key symbol - the cloverleaf - from
> the keyboard. I cannot find the correct hidden character from the various
> fonts. Does anyone know which key/font/point size to type?

*** NO! ***

The Chicago 12 font contains several menu-associated characters as follows:

	"ASCII" Decimal		ASCII Name	MacSymbol

	17			DC1		Control Cloverleaf
	18			DC2		Menu Check Mark
	19			DC3		Filled Diamond
	20			DC4		The Apple Symbol of DA Menu

Good luck typing these control characters into an application for printing!  It
is possible to type them into Microsoft BASIC, but the obvious control character
key sequences might not work.

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.

kroemer@ucsbcsl.UUCP ( ) (03/21/85)

Apple's four special symbols in the Chicago 12 font are easily made
permanently accessible from the keyboard with the help of the Font
Editor and the Resource Editor: Use the FE to copy them from their
low-ASCII positions (26-29) to some of the unused accessible high-ASCII
positions.  I used 216-219 (Shift-Command tilde, etc.).  Save the
modified font in the Fonts File.  Use the RE to copy the FF into the
Font portion of the System File.

H. Kroemer, ECE Dept., UCSB (805) 961-3078

phcalamai@water.UUCP (Paul H. Calamai) (03/21/85)

In article <1873@tekig1.UUCP> briand@tekig1.UUCP (Brian Diehm) writes:
>> I am trying to output the Mac control key symbol - the cloverleaf - from
>> the keyboard. I cannot find the correct hidden character from the various
>> fonts. Does anyone know which key/font/point size to type?
>

>The Chicago 12 font contains several menu-associated characters as follows:
>
>	"ASCII" Decimal		ASCII Name	MacSymbol
>
>	17			DC1		Control Cloverleaf
>	18			DC2		Menu Check Mark
>	19			DC3		Filled Diamond
>	20			DC4		The Apple Symbol of DA Menu
>
>Good luck typing these control characters into an application for printing!  It
>is possible to type them into Microsoft BASIC, but the obvious control
>character key sequences might not work.

The Cloverleaf symbol is directly available in the enhanced Geneva font that
accompanies the Princeton fonts. I believe this symbol is mapped to
the `-key (in the upper-left corner of the Mac keyboard (shifted)). This, I
beleive is printable in an application! (?).

briand@tekig1.UUCP (Brian Diehm) (03/25/85)

> >> I am trying to output the Mac control key symbol - the cloverleaf - from
> >> the keyboard. I cannot find the correct hidden character from the various
> >> fonts. Does anyone know which key/font/point size to type?
> >
> The Cloverleaf symbol is directly available in the enhanced Geneva font that
> accompanies the Princeton fonts. I believe this symbol is mapped to
> the `-key (in the upper-left corner of the Mac keyboard (shifted)). This, I
> beleive is printable in an application! (?).

Well, it is also easy to use the Resource Editor to copy these symbols into
another font at an unused character location.  "ASCII" 217 is a good choice
because it can be typed into applications as "Option Shift ~", the upper
left key on the board.

Watch out though.  If you define it in, say, Geneva 12 (replacing the rabbit),
then you will need to place it double sized into Geneva 24 (if it also is in
your system), or else "High Quality" printing will not show the new character.

Once you have modified your system fonts with the Resource Editor, you can of
course save the modified fonts with the Font Mover application.

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.  (*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR DISCLAIMER! ***)

howard@amdahl.UUCP (Howard C. Simonson) (03/29/85)

In article <1886@tekig1.UUCP> briand@tekig1.UUCP (Brian Diehm) writes:
>Well, it is also easy to use the Resource Editor to copy these symbols into
>another font at an unused character location.  "ASCII" 217 is a good choice
>because it can be typed into applications as "Option Shift ~", the upper
>left key on the board.
>
>Watch out though.  If you define it in, say, Geneva 12 (replacing the rabbit),
>then you will need to place it double sized into Geneva 24 (if it also is in
>your system), or else "High Quality" printing will not show the new character.
>-Brian Diehm
>Tektronix, Inc.  (*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR DISCLAIMER! ***)

Is this the same rabbit used on the standard DA "Control Panel"?  If so,
beware of such a side effect.
--
Do not walk in front of me,
   I may step on your heel.                                  Howard C. Simonson

[ Opinion? What opinion.  I think you have the wrong guy... ]

briand@tekig1.UUCP (Brian Diehm) (04/02/85)

> Is this the same rabbit used on the standard DA "Control Panel"?  If so,
> beware of such a side effect.
>                                  Howard C. Simonson

While visually identical, the Geneva 12 rabbit and the control panel rabbit
are not related - the turtle for example is not in any font (that I know of).
This character position - ASCII 217 decimal - seems to be used for a means of
MacExpression by MacFont MacDevelopers.  However, even in whimsey they use the
same character in double size fonts - the Geneva 24 font has a larger more
detailed - rabbit.  Other fonts have candles, robots, flowers, bear paws, and
sheep.  That's right, sheep.

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.

swift@reed.UUCP (Theodore Swift) (04/04/85)

Though you need Font Editor or some equivalent (ResEdit?) to do it
   ("How can you do it alone??"  -Pete Townsend/the Who),
I figured out a good way to make the Cloverleaf symbol.
Get at the Chicago 12 font (inside the FONT file of SYSTEM in ResEdit)
and click along to character ASCII # 217, which I think is blank.
Make a cloverleaf by observing how they're made in any of the menus.
(You'll have to experiment on the height, etc, a bit.)
Close things up properly so the System doesn't bomb.
Get out Key Caps (either version), and there should be a cloverleaf
on SHIFT OPTION ~ (tilde) in Chicago.  If you're working in Geneva
and hit shift-option ~ you get the bunny rabbit, which you can simply
select and change the font to Chicago.  This makes rough drafts
rather amusing.  With some experimentation, you will soon note that
the Apple font designer(s) hid little presents for us under the
shift-option tilde keys in most of the fonts (see one of the early
issues of _Macworld_).
This method is a little tortuous, but it gives you a permanent
Cloverleaf who's keyboard position is easy to remember.
G'luck