From: <bang!crash!bwebster@Nosc>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 85 07:59:11 PST
Subject: UPGRADE ALERT

 TO:  Everyone who is considering a RAM/Hyperdrive upgrade

I've just heard some disturbing information from a usually reliable
source.  As many of you may know, Apple is coming out with a ROM
upgrade (128K) this year (probably in September) to fix bugs,
accomodate the double-sided disk drives, etc.  Well, according to my
source, Apple is instructing its dealers *not* to perform the upgrade
on any Macintosh that has been modified in any way.  In other words,
if you have done anything to your Mac (RAM upgrade, Hyperdrive, etc.)
other than buy the official (and incredibly overpriced) Apple 512K
upgrade, your dealer may not upgrade your ROM for you.  I have not yet
been able to get a confirm/deny/no comment out of Apple; I'll keep you
posted on what I find.

Additional information and commentary is, as always, welcome.

                              ..bruce..

[These are, of course, my own opinions, and do not necessarily reflect
anyone else's . . . though I suspect they just might.]

--- End of Forwarded Message ---

This is somewhat disturbing news, but is not too surprising.  It reminds me
of a saying my grandmother had years ago, about "cutting off your nose to
spite your face."

IBM sounds better all the time...

[Disclaimer: the opinions above are my own, except when they are also those
of the person quoted, who I "just might" agree with.]
--
Full-Name:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer