[net.micro.mac] Switcher 2.0 Posting

kim@analog.UUCP (Kim Helliwell ) (04/16/85)

It is my understanding that the switcher 2.0 was posted to Compuserve with
Apple's permission in order to have a large beta test base with a fairly
standard method for the beta testers to give feedback to Apple about problems
with it.  Hence, the posting of the switcher to net.sources.mac was
inappropriate.  It is a beta release, not a finished product, and it is most
definitely NOT public domain!

Aside from that, the posting to Compuserve included three other files: a
MacWrite file of user documentation, a file of hints for application
developers and a file giving information on who and how to give feedback
on bugs.  The net poster of Switcher ought at least to have included those
files as well, as long as he was breaking the contract! (In for a penny, in
for a pound!).

I don't work for Apple, and I am not particularly attempting to defend any of
Apple's policies or actions here.  I assumed that the Switcher would in fact
be posted here as soon as it made the appearance on Compuserve.  But I lodge
a mild protest, because of the message this sends to Apple about the community
of users it is looking to to provide this beta test feedback.  This method
of distribution (on Compuserve) is unprecedented in the software community,
and I happen to like it and want it to continue.  I fear that more such
examples of disregard for  the ground rules will cause Apple (not to mention
others) to reconsider this decision and pull the plug on us all.

To anyone who downloads the switcher from the net: Please get on to Compuserve
and get the other files that go with it, beat it around a bit, and give
Apple the feedback on bugs that will help make this a better product!

Kim Helliwell
hplabs!analog!kim

perelgut@utai.UUCP (Stephen Perelgut) (04/19/85)

As far as I can tell, a posting to Compuserve is a posting to public domain
and reposting to other groups or giving away software is OK.  About the only
rights the authors would maintain are the right to have their name associated
with it, and the right to prevent anyone else from making money from their
product.

I for one am quite pleased that Apple is being open and posting useful tools
to the various networks, and I suggest that the practice is a valid one.
--
Stephen Perelgut	Computer Systems Research Institute, Univ. of Toronto
USENET:	{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!utcsrgv!utai!perelgut

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (04/25/85)

In article <433@utai.UUCP> perelgut@utai.UUCP (Stephen Perelgut) writes:
>As far as I can tell, a posting to Compuserve is a posting to public domain
>and reposting to other groups or giving away software is OK.  About the only
>rights the authors would maintain are the right to have their name associated
>with it, and the right to prevent anyone else from making money from their
>product.
>
>I for one am quite pleased that Apple is being open and posting useful tools
>to the various networks, and I suggest that the practice is a valid one.

By that theory a record distributed to a radio station is then public domain.
It's interesting that you like Apple's policy of electronic distribution
and reward that policy by refusing to honor their limitations on the
distribution, thus encouraging them to stop that method of distribution.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

lsr@apple.UUCP (Larry Rosenstein) (04/26/85)

I am not sure if Apple would consider the posting of Switcher 2.0 to be
"inappropriate".  One would expect that after posting it on Compuserve that
it would start showing up in other places.  (I disagree that the Switcher
is in the public domain, since it does have a Copyright notice.)

I agree with Kim Helliwell that the person who posted the Switcher code
should have also posted the instructions for reporting bugs.  I am glad to
see that someone took the time to do that.

I strongly urge that everyone who downloaded the switcher get the document
that describes how to report bugs, and that you report the bugs you find.
If you expect to receive test copies of signifcant pieces of software, then
you have an obligation to report the bugs.

I would prefer that you mail in your bug reports to the address given in
the memo and repeated below.  (Another side effect of mailing in the bugs
is that Apple will get to see how successful this kind of beta testing is,
and whether it was worthwhile and should be continued.  On that note, you
might also indicate how you received your copy of the Switcher if it wasn't
from Compuserve.)

Otherwise you can mail your bug reports to me.  But then I get all the
credit for reporting them. :-)

When you report your bugs try to give as much information as possible, and
a step by step listing of how to make the bug appear.  If your version of
the Switcher is earlier than 2.0, try to get the 2.0 version and reproduce
the bug with it.

Mail your bugs to:

Ron Brannan
Apple Computers, Inc.
20525 Mariani Drive, M/S 2-O
Cupertino, CA 95014

Thanks.

--
Larry Rosenstein
Apple Computer

UUCP:  {nsc, dual, voder, ios}!apple!lsr
CSNET: lsr@Apple.CSNET