[net.micro.mac] Hackers need ROMs, too.

wasser_1@viking.DEC (John A. Wasser) (04/26/85)

> > > What this means, of course, is that if you do things to your machine that
> > > you were told not to, like hack the hardware, you are on your own.
> >
> > This is the real issue, isn't [it]: we weren't doing what we were
> > told to do.  Well, you've been a good boy, so you get to be the
> > [hall] monitor.
>
> This is an insulting comment. Do YOU want to try to build a decent hardware
> support organization for ~250,000 machines that have hardware hacks of
> varying degrees of sophistication and varying degrees of success with no
> schematics?

	What hardware support organization?  Dealers doing board-swaps?
	I did a memory upgrade on my MAC ($100... better then $600!) so
	I don't expect Apple to repair my board for free.  What I do
	expect is to be able to buy the new ROMs and have them REPLACE
	THE ROMS IF THEY ARE DEFECTIVE.  It is not reasonable to expect
	Apple to do a board swap and take a modified board in trade but
	is is reasonable to expect Apple to sell just the ROMs and
	provide no more	service for them than for any other software.
	If they don't, I'm sure someone will (illegally).

	When I bought my 128K Mac (November 1984) I expected to upgrade
	to a 512K board in March (1985) when all the nice hardware changes
	were expected.  Since Apple didn't deliver, I gave up and did a
	cheap memory upgrade myself.  Since I saved $500 on the memory
	upgrade, I won't complain if a new board costs less then $500
	more without the trade-in (if the hardware changes ever do arrive).

		-John A. Wasser

Work address:
ARPAnet:	WASSER%VIKING.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
Usenet:		{allegra,Shasta,decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-viking!wasser
Easynet:	VIKING::WASSER
Telephone:	(617)486-2505
USPS:		Digital Equipment Corp.
		Mail stop: LJO2/E4
		30 Porter Rd
		Littleton, MA  01460

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (04/27/85)

In article <1864@decwrl.UUCP> wasser_1@viking.DEC (John A. Wasser) writes:
>	expect is to be able to buy the new ROMs and have them REPLACE
>	THE ROMS IF THEY ARE DEFECTIVE.  It is not reasonable to expect
>	Apple to do a board swap and take a modified board in trade but
>	is is reasonable to expect Apple to sell just the ROMs and
>	provide no more	service for them than for any other software.
Buying the ROMS is one thing, expecting them to replace the ROMS if you
decide they don't work is another.  Even a car dealer has the sign
saying "electrical parts are not subject to return" because once it
has been out of their hands it can be damaged in so many ways.

But beside this the only actual statement out of Apple at this point
has been the statement that Apple will not guarantee the ROM upgrade
to be compatible with any one elses mods and hardware.  This statement
by Andy Hertzfeld contained the information that even the Hyperdrive
as currently configured would NOT work with the new ROM.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.