[net.misc] For upward mobility, dont rely on elevators....

kgdykes (08/22/82)

The following fragment of another article prompts me to ask
   "Why isnt there a delete button" ???
In a world of high-rise living, it strikes me that elevators are still
exceedingly primitive, stupid devices.
(ever tried to go up 15 floors and found some kid pushed *all* the buttons)

---------------
    From utzoo!decvax!harpo!floyd!vax135!lime!we13!rjk Thu Aug 19
    Subject: Not really a new site...
    Newsgroups: net.news.newsite

    slightly burnt out.  I once heard that "total technial burnout"
    can be diagnosed when you press the wrong floor in the elevator,
    then frantically look for the DELETE button.

    						Randy King
    						..we13!rjk
---------------
       ...ken    (decvax!utzoo!watmath!kgdykes)

vlsi (08/23/82)

Ah, but there are elevators with delete buttons!  In fact,  I have actually
done work on an elevator control system where that was actually done.  However,
it seems that people do not like them!  In fact, the good old heavy black button
is the winner.  I was surprised until Debby Kline,  who is blind,  wrapped a
towel around my head, and shoved me into an elevator. "Take me to the fifth
floor!" she said,  sticking me in the side with a beer bottle.  I counted up
five buttons,  and proceeded to vist the four parking levels,
the main floor, and got off on the mezzamine.  This rapidly led to the inclusion
of braille legends and pressure sensitive buttons on the control panel.  Now
suppose that you are in an elevator, and you hit those funny little buttons.
How do you tell which one was hit?  If it stays depressed, no problem.
If it just sits there, tough!  If it is illuminated, you stand a chance
(until you meet Debby!).
The only solution seems to be to wait for the Sirian Vertical People Mover...
which gets you there even before you knew you wanted to go...