[net.micro.mac] Software Reset

tomm@tektools.UUCP (Tom Milligan) (04/30/85)

I have the Manx C compiler, and am wondering how, in software, to cause my Mac
to do a reset...to beep and act as if I had just turned it on.  I know it
is possible, I just can't find in in my copy of "Inside Macintosh"

			Thanks,

			Tom Milligan

shulman@topaz.ARPA (Jeff Shulman) (05/01/85)

In article <219@tektools.UUCP> tomm@tektools.UUCP (Tom Milligan) writes:
>I have the Manx C compiler, and am wondering how, in software, to cause my Mac
>to do a reset...to beep and act as if I had just turned it on.  I know it
>is possible, I just can't find in in my copy of "Inside Macintosh"
>
>			Thanks,
>
>			Tom Milligan

Just use the M68000 RESET instruction (I assume Manx C has a way to do this?)

							Jeff

uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!shulman
arpa:   SHULMAN@RUTGERS
--

darin@tmq.UUCP (Darin Adler) (05/03/85)

> I have the Manx C compiler, and am wondering how, in software, to cause my Mac
> to do a reset...to beep and act as if I had just turned it on.  I know it
> is possible, I just can't find in in my copy of "Inside Macintosh"

Inside Mac does NOT have the solution.  In the recent versions of the Software
Supplement, there is a Restart procedure that does just what you want.  To
use this method from 68000 ML this is the necessary magic code:

		MOVE.L	ROMStart,A0	; (ROMStart=$2AE)
		ADD.W	#10,A0		; (decimal 10, hex $A)
		JMP	(A0)

Since it is OK'd by Apple, I assume this code will work on all existing and
future "Macintoshes" including the XL.

Darin Adler
ihnp4!tmq!darin