[net.micro.mac] Re Re "insufficient memory" error msg.

len@qumix.UUCP (Leonard Labar) (05/02/85)

In posting my original problem I said I was getting "insufficient
memory" error when my desktop said I had 50k left.  A variation was
"unable to remember the startup disk".  I wasn't sure whether this was
a macterminal problem or not.  I was using a 128k mac with single disk
drive.  Command shift-1 seemed to work for awhile but eventually that
didn't work either.  "Shutdown" always worked regardless.  Here's the
mail I received.

> We have the same problem, but I haven't been able to figure out what's
> going on.  However, typing command-shift-1 will always update the disk and
> eject it.  It's much safer than either resetting or powering down.

>> Hit reset, then hold the mouse button down.  The disk will be
>> ejected instead of booted.

	> The problem with your MacTerminal disk is that you are always
	> downloading software.  This brings up more and more different
	> icons until you have a huge desktop file.  Next time you boot
	> with that disk hold down the option and command keys the from
	> the time you insert the disk, until it has completely booted.
	> This will rebuild your desktop file.

>I think your problem is your DeskTop file is too big ( it's got
>too many icons to remember).  Recreate the desktop by holding down the
>command and option keys while rebooting the Mac with the troubled disk.
>This should take care of it.

Ok, I thank those for responding above.  Now my other question is,
does this happen in other situations, i.e. with newer versions of
macterminal?  Isn't there a cleaner way to solve the problem?  Why
hasn't Apple told us about this bug?  What about disabling the
permanent save to disk feature so it doesn't happen in the first place?
Seems like one could do that using fedit.  Of course then it probably
wouldn't work with macput.  If this is a macterminal only problem then
I'll switch to Red Ryder 4.0.  However, Red Ryder seems to force you to
display the file (cat filename) you want to download first.  I still
like the thermometer in macterminal.  Comments anyone?

phcalamai@water.UUCP (Paul H. Calamai) (05/03/85)

In article <604@qumix.UUCP> len@qumix.UUCP (Leonard Labar) writes:

>......  If this is a macterminal only problem then
>I'll switch to Red Ryder 4.0.  However, Red Ryder seems to force you to
>display the file (cat filename) you want to download first.  I still
>like the thermometer in macterminal.  Comments anyone?

Red Ryder 5.0 is already available and Red Ryder 6.0 is about to go
into Beta testing. If you check the documentation that was distributed
with version 5 you will find that displaying the file is not necessary
in downloading. Red Ryder also supports the protocol that everyone is
currently talking about ( see the binhex_v5 stuff ) and version 6 will
support vt100 emulation.

tdn@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA (Thomas Newton) (05/05/85)

It isn't a MacTerminal problem; it's a Finder problem.  The Finder stashes
away copies of every icon that it sees into the Desktop file.  However, it
never updates an icon entry -- either to replace it when an application gets
a new icon, or to remove it when the file is deleted from the disk.  Disks
that are used for downloading (with *any* terminal program) tend to have a
very large Desktop file because they have "seen" many more applications than
most of the disks in your collection.

The problem doesn't just happen with disks that are used for downloading.
I have several disks that are full of small files.  Copying files between
one data disk and another (on my two-drive system) often involves copying
files to the System disk (thereby increasing the size of its Desktop),
ejecting the first data disk and throwing its image away, inserting the
second data disk, copying the files to it, and finally deleting them from
the system disk.  Many is the time that I've wanted to take a sledgehammer
to my 128K Mac (in the style of Apple's anti-IBM-PC ads) because it won't
let me work with three disks.

When the Mac does let me work with three disks, I sometimes wind up getting
screwed anyway.  It seems that the Mac doesn't like to give up the System
disk as easily as a data disk, and if I insert the second data disk into the
external drive, the Mac will leave the internal drive sitting idle and force
me to swap disks in and out of the external drive.

The DOS on my Atari 800 is a lot better than the Finder in this respect.  If
I want to copy files between two disks, I just put the two diskettes into the
drives and tell it to copy between them.  If only copying files on the Mac was
this simple . . .