[net.micro.mac] Re...Re "insufficient memory error msg"

len@qumix.UUCP (Leonard Labar) (05/05/85)

Since I posted the original question and got a few more mails since my
last update, I felt responsible to pass on a couple more comments.
There seemed like a lot of interest on this one.  This is the last
posting I will make on this subject so no more mail will be passed
along.  Negative replies (there's always someone) may be sent to
net.flame.

>1) "Is this a Macterminal problem only?"

	>No.  It occurs with any disk you habitually download to and convert
>files with their own icons. With any terminal program.

>2) "Is this problem going to be fixed?"

	>It already has.  Finder 4.1 does automatic cleanup of the desktop, plus
>option-command doubleclick finder cleans the desktop manually while leaving
>folders and getinfo intact.

>3) "Are any improvements to MacTerminal going to get rid of the update to
>disk feature?"

	>I don't know, but MacTerminal 2.0 is due out Real Soon Now, and Apple
>HAS been listening to complaints here and on Compuserve.  The reason I
>say this is that Skipfinder and Eject and Reset DA's are now a part ( in a
>different fashion ) of Finder4.1.

	>The newer versions of the finder >4 are supposed to remove
	>unused icons from the desktop file.  I have been using
	>3.6x, 4.0 and now 4.1 and have not had any problems.
	>Pick up a new copy of the finder from your dealer and
	>I think all of your problems will go away.

	>P.S. The problem is not MacTerminal, it is just that that is the
	>disk you pass the most icons through by downloading and then
	>coping to another disk.  A desktop bigger than 10K will cause
	>big problems on 128 machines because they require too much
	>heap space.

Thanks to everyone that responsed.  The response and enlightenment was
overwhelming.  I hope now we can put the discussion to bed and move on
to other things.

I thought I had the same problem with the Finder 4.1 until I realized
that I still had all those invisible desktop files left over after
updating my disks.  As one person pointed out, "hold down the option
and control key together until the disk has completely booted up."
This pulls out those files so you can trash them.  It worked fine then.
Of course my old version of macterminal still makes the disk whir
constantly so I'm just waiting to see what happens.

It seems that Apple is doing some listening.  I've got to give them
credit (I also am getting very ticked off at Big Blue, especially
recently).  However, what I just saw on the net about Red Ryder 5.0 and
6.0 sounds even better.  I'd give anything to be rid of the constant
disk whirring and still get a decent download feature.  Red Ryder also
apparently has a remote login feature via macros file that is something
else.  When I get it downloaded and test it I am going to send the guy
his $40.  Also, I'm encouraging my friends to do the same.

The above opinions do not reflect those of my employer.

len@qumix

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (05/06/85)

In article <613@qumix.UUCP> len@qumix.UUCP (Leonard Labar) writes:
>>3) "Are any improvements to MacTerminal going to get rid of the update to
>>disk feature?"
>
>	>I don't know, but MacTerminal 2.0 is due out Real Soon Now, and Apple

Posted to MAUG on Compuserve was a simple solution to this problem.  The
current MacTerminal updates the screen image to disk every 8 1/3 seconds.
This is controlled by the long hex value 0000 01F4 which is unique and
can be found by a hex search using Fedit.  Changing this value to
0000 0700 will change the update period to thirty seconds, a much more
paletable time span.  This information came courtesy of Johnathan E.Hardis
Compuserve 76174,105.

--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

"... Don't sue me, I'm just the piano player!...."