[net.micro.mac] A question and a bonus

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/01/85)

In article <272@osu-eddie.UUCP> paul@osu-eddie.UUCP (Paul Placeway) writes:

>>Unfortunately, its a copyrighted program,  Steve Capp's "Alice"....
>
>I don't know about Steve Capp, but if it were my copyrighted program,
>I would sue Jim into the ground.  Unlike some micro-BBSs, it is more
>than likely that a given company is on the net, and will see a pirated
>program posting.  Pirating is wrong to start with, but posting to the
>net a pirated program is just plain STUPID (not to mention twice)
>(with offense, Jim). Perhaps a lawyer would like to explain this to
>people...

Sigh. As one of the people involved in getting net.sources.mac created in
the first place it looks like it is time for sources 101, a remedial class
in how to post to the network. Forthwith, and may the people who know what
they are doing bear with me for the sake of those that evidently don't:

Posting to net.sources.mac -- an exercise in education

    * What should be posted to net.sources.mac?

    Well, beanie, Macintosh programs, of course. As the name implies, the
    group is primarily for Macintosh source, which is why all you see is
    binHexed object code.

    If you have something to be posted to net.sources.mac, please, if at
    ALL possible post source to it as well. One purpose of the group is to
    share freeware, but the other, and possibly more important, reason is
    to give people programming examples so that they  can learn to program
    the Mac as well. The Mac is a VERY complex beastie, and Inside Mac
    nowithstanding, most people can use all the help they can get putting
    their ideas into the machine. The more source we throw out now, the
    faster and better programs we can get back from others. Consider it a
    well made investment in the future.

    * How do you post to net.sources.mac

    Glad you asked. First, put together a distribution of the files using
    something like shar. Binaries should be binhexed, preferably 4.0 since
    the other BinHex formats don't survive through all the corners of our
    wonderful network. Please include such trivial things as what the
    program's name is, where you got it, who wrote it, distribution rights,
    etc, etc, etc. Don't forget the source code and please give us a hint
    on how to recompile it -- things like compilers used, what language it
    is in, etc... come in real handy. Any explanitory notes traditionally
    go into a file called README so people can see what is going on. If the
    distribution is larger than about 30K, please break it up into chunks
    of about equal size (and all <30K). For very large distributions, such
    as the recent MacFonts disks, the distribution will have to be made
    over time to keep sites from eating large parts of it. 40-50K every
    three or four days seems to be the maximum safe distribution from any
    one source.

    * What DOESN'T belong in net.sources.mac

    Anything that isn't source or program, obviously. Maybe not so
    obviously, since people ignore this routinely. Please post all requests
    for software to net.micro.mac. Please post bugs, fixes (unless it also
    has non-trivial amounts of source), comments, flames, bitches, moans,
    whines and the 1985 San Diego Chicken appearance calender to
    net.micro.mac or someplace where it is appropriate. Many sites attempt
    to archive the source topics, and it you throw lots of garbage into the
    directory finding something later becomes a real pain. Many of us have
    made a concious decision to completely ignore any request made to
    net.sources.mac, even if we DO have the software in question, so you
    are LESS likely to get a response if you post it inappropriately.

    Anything that isn't public domain (such as my PlaidWare line of
    software, upcoming), shareware (such as Desk Accessory Mover), or
    approved for redistribution (such as the MacFont Disks. Please note
    that unless Apple has specifically approved it, things on the software
    supplement disks can NOT be posted. Microsoft word can NOT be posted,
    either. If it is from Apple, and it isn't on Compuserve, do NOT post
    it. Apple has gone to great lengths to make their software as generally
    available as feasible, don't screw them on this. If the software is
    copyrighted for limited or no distribution, do not post it without the
    permission of the owner of the copyright, and MAKE SURE THAT THE
    COPYRIGHT IS POSTED WITH IT. (Sounds obvious? Maybe too obvious).

    Please remember this -- posting proprietary software to this group
    violates the owners rights to that software, putting you, and possibly
    the entire net, in violation of various federal, state, and local laws
    (void where prohibited). They could decide to sue your a**, they could
    decide to sue the networks a**, they could make life very miserable.
    Most of us are involved in software in some way or another -- think
    VERY carefully about your feelings if you got your hardearned work (and
    possibly paycheck) ripped off before you rip off someone else's.

    Test the software before you post it. Sounds silly, but there have been
    a couple of cases of software that had four or five versions posted in
    about a week. That isn't bug fixing, that is sloppiness.

    * Is that all?

    I certainly hope so, Wally. the main thing is to think before you do
    anything. If you aren't sure of the status of a program (freeware,
    shareware, copyrighted, whatever), then DON'T post it. If its been
    posted before, please try to not duplicate it unneccesarily. Keep the
    garbage out of the group, and keep the information in net.micro.mac.

    This has been a recording, we now return you to your regularly
    scheduled programming.

    chuq
--
:From the closet of anxieties of:                 Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Remember me, for that which I must do shall ring out upon the heavens and
my name shall be renounced by the tongues of all mankind! - J. Iscariot

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (05/03/85)

>     * What DOESN'T belong in net.sources.mac
>
>     Anything that isn't source or program, obviously. Maybe not so
>     obviously, since people ignore this routinely. Please post all requests
>     for software to net.micro.mac. Please post bugs, fixes (unless it also
>     has non-trivial amounts of source), comments, flames, bitches, moans,
>     whines and the 1985 San Diego Chicken appearance calender to
>     net.micro.mac or someplace where it is appropriate.

And guess where this was posted?  Hint:

> Newsgroups: net.sources.mac,net.micro.mac

I guess the king is above the law.

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/06/85)

In article <1508@hao.UUCP> ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) writes:
>>     * What DOESN'T belong in net.sources.mac
>>
>>     Anything that isn't source or program, obviously. Maybe not so

>And guess where this was posted?  Hint:
>
>> Newsgroups: net.sources.mac,net.micro.mac
>
>I guess the king is above the law.

Not true, sahib. My standard policy on posting stuff like this is to post
it to the groups affected. There is unfortunately no other way to get it
to the people that need to read it most-- those that screw up. The OTHER
HALF of my standard policy is to send out a cancel message for the posting
if that posting goes to a group that may well be archived. The cancel
message is wending its way out now -- if you don't see it, it is because
some system out there ate it for you.

I COULD have posted my comments to net.flame. That would have made me feel
better, but I doubt that a significant number of the people who are
misusing net.source.mac would have seen it or acted on it. I also doubt
sincerely that most of the net.flame readers CARE what we do to
net.sources.mac. I wish I didn't have to post that stuff to ent.sources.mac
-- cancelling it is at best a second rate alternative -- but the reality is
that if people didn't screw up in the first place, it wouldn't be
neccessary. I, at least, try to minimize the damage....

chuq
--
:From the offices of Pagans for Cthulhu:          Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Who shall forgive the unrepentant?