[net.micro.mac] Changing the keyboard configuration -- Need help

mikem@uwstat.UUCP (05/05/85)

Help!.  Does anyone know how to change the keyboard configuration of the
mac?.  I can work around most of the oddities, but  OPTION-I (for
example) doesn't generate a generate a keyboard event because it is
mapped to an accent character.  What I would like is to remap the
keyboard so that OPTION-KEY generates the same thing as KEY.

My motivation is to use the OPTION key as an ersatz META key for emacs.
So far I have this working for everything but OPTION-{c,eiun} and I'm
now stuck.    Inside Macintosh is no help, it says the info will be
available in the next draft.

If I get a response to this query I will summarize the answer to this
newsgroup, so please don't send me **me too** requests.

Thanks,

--

Mike Meyer --  Phone +1 (608) 262-1157 (Leave messages at 262-2598)

ARPA:  mikem@Statistics  <==>	mikem@Wisc-Stat.ARPA
UUCP:  ...!{allegra,ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,pyr_chi,heurikon}!uwvax!uwstat!mikem

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (05/07/85)

In article <246@uwstat.UUCP> mikem@uwstat.UUCP writes:
>Help!.  Does anyone know how to change the keyboard configuration of the
>mac?.  I can work around most of the oddities, but  OPTION-I (for
>example) doesn't generate a generate a keyboard event because it is
>If I get a response to this query I will summarize the answer to this
>newsgroup, so please don't send me **me too** requests.

I posted a keyboard reconfigure program in net.sources.mac which
remaps the keyboard.  It's not the source, and I don't know how to do it
but the program gives the address of the author on closing so it may be
possible to contact him for the information.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

"... Don't sue me, I'm just the piano player!...."