[net.micro.mac] Problems with repair of Apple machines.

holst@diku.UUCP (Christensen) (05/10/85)

     Yesterday my friend's mac made smoke signals (blue smoke came out
from the top). When he called his supplier, he was told that they didn't
have any spare parts, and that they had to order them in the US, so he is
now without his mac for at least a month.
     This might not be so bad, but my friend is an Apple distributor, and
his supplier is the danish importer, so this means that there is NO spare
parts to a mac in Denmark, and that every time something goes wrong, the
parts have to be imported from the US.
     Is this normal ? Why do I feel it is wrong to wait for a month to get
your mac back ?
     By the way, the problem with the mac was that the high-voltage part
broke down (don't ask me what that means, but that was what the importer
said).
     This suddently make me realize, that I orderd a repair os my disk II
for my old Apple II in november last year, and i am still waiting...

     Have anybody else had problems with getting your Apple running after a
breakdown ? What can one do, if the importer havn't got the parts ?

     Thanks in advance

     Bo Holst-Christensen
     Institute of Datology,
     University of Copenhagen

     holst@diku.UUCP

li63sdl@sdcc7.UUCP (DAVID SMITH) (05/13/85)

In article <947@diku.UUCP> holst@diku.UUCP (Christensen) writes:

>     This suddently make me realize, that I orderd a repair os my disk II
>for my old Apple II in november last year, and i am still waiting...
>

>     Have anybody else had problems with getting your Apple running after a
>breakdown ? What can one do, if the importer havn't got the parts ?
>
>     Thanks in advance
>
>     Bo Holst-Christensen
>     Institute of Datology,
>     University of Copenhagen
>
>     holst@diku.UUCP

	Well, I can't recommend too much for the Mac.  However, the
high-voltage section in the Mac shouldn't be too hard to fix using
stock parts, I should think.

	With the older Apples (II/II+) it's no problem, since they
were built with off the shelf parts (Not much of a budget for custom
chips then).  The IIe is a different story since it has two or three
custom chips that take the pace of all the discrete logic in the
II/II+.

	The Disk II shoudldn't be tough to fix either.  It's hardly
anything at all.  I would say if your dealer can't or won't
fix it, find a friend who's not adverse to handling a
soldeiring iron and get him to put it back together.
(Assuming it's the circuitry, not the actual drive
mechanism.