[net.micro.mac] System Beep on power on. FLAME

schwartz@Shasta.ARPA (05/01/85)

    Am I the only one out here that finds the beep that the mac makes on
power on to be annoying?  I'm doing some program development and everytime
I have to reset the machine everyone in the office knows that I've bombed
again!  IBM PC's don't beep, why should macs.  I hope the new ROMs I've been
hearing so much about eliminates the beep.

chavez@ucbvax.ARPA (Thomas M. Chavez) (05/02/85)

Many of you have seen that there is a RESUME button on System Error dialogs.
With most software, it is dimmed, but developers can set a resume routine that
can be called when a system error is generated.  It is set by passing an address
in the InitDialogs ROMcall.  This address will be called if the user presses the
RESUME button in the error dialog.

A good call to use is the ExitToShell command.  This will return the user to th
finder where he can choose whether to edit again, or whatever.  To do this in C,
do the following:

resumeProc();
   {ExitToShell();}

and in your main procedure:

InitDialogs (resumeProc);

The resume procedure will usually work, but there are a few cases where it won't
 for a reason that I don't know.

Hope this helps...
Tom Chavez
chavez@BERKELEY

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (05/03/85)

>     Am I the only one out here that finds the beep that the mac makes on
> power on to be annoying?  I'm doing some program development and everytime
> I have to reset the machine everyone in the office knows that I've bombed
> again!

A standard mini phone plug inserted into the audio jack will
silence the speaker.

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (05/03/85)

> IBM PC's don't beep, why should macs.

Yes they do.  The ROM start-up diagnostic on the IBM PC uses a beep to
signal whether the CPU test completed successfully, and other beep patterns
to signal if it failed (and for what reason).  This is done in case the
display is not working, so you can find out whether it's not working
because the CPU couldn't initialize the display, or whether the display is
bad but the CPU is fine.  Actually, the IBM PC also makes a distinctive
"honk-honk" noise from the A: disk drive whenever you reboot it, also,
because they move the heads in and out, with the stepping rate set to a low
(and thus noisy) rate, in order to test them before loading the OS.  At
least the mac makes a nice bell tone, instead...
--
Full-Name:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

"Reciprovocation are the spites of life, monsieur!" -- Mmle. H.

ee163ahe@sdcc13.UUCP (VICTOR ROMANO) (05/03/85)

In article <6689@ucbvax.ARPA> chavez@ucbvax.UUCP (Thomas M. Chavez) writes:
>Many of you have seen that there is a RESUME button on System Error dialogs.
>With most software, it is dimmed, but developers can set a resume routine that
>can be called when a system error is generated.

	Such a routine was posted on the network a while back in
	BinHex 76.83 format.  I tried it.  It didn't work.
	Maybe it could be blamed on the fact that I was using
	BinHex 21.54 instead.

	See later article entitled "BinHex X.X version 1.0" in
	net.wanted.sources and net.micro.mac.

			Victor Romano

		What's that sound?
		What sound?
		Is it the piper?
		Do you mean Syd?
		No, I mean Dave.

--------------------------------
They can polish their metals and sharpen their smiles, and amuse
themselves playing games for awhile.  Boom boom.  Bang bang.  Lie
down, your dead.
			-The Screaming Abdabs

darin@tmq.UUCP (Darin Adler) (05/06/85)

>     Am I the only one out here that finds the beep that the mac makes on
> power on to be annoying?  I'm doing some program development and everytime
> I have to reset the machine everyone in the office knows that I've bombed
> again!  IBM PC's don't beep, why should macs.  I hope the new ROMs I've been
> hearing so much about eliminates the beep.

I AGREE!  I have noticed that newer Apple software (notably Finder 4.1) beeps
much less, but the ONE beep that I can NOT get rid of (even with the lovely
Control Panel) is the Power On beep.  ANNOYING.

By the way, responses to this message having to do with the Resume command are
NOT solutions.  This is about restarting the Mac, not how to add Resume to an
application.

Darin Adler
ihnp4!tmq!darin

bhyde@inmet.UUCP (05/06/85)

Writing a resume procedure is no mean feat.  Since exit to finder
doesn't rebuild the system heap from scratch your takings some risks in
letting the finder attack on your disks at that point.  Consider what
happens if it rewrites a disk's directory without checking that the
directory is absolutly pure and noble, bye bye data...
  I'd be interested in what other people have done to create a reset
procedure that is reasonably safe.  For example do you forcably dismount
the disks?  Do you reinit everybody?  Do you check the consistency of some
read only data structures and use them as a vote of confidence?
  My only use of this feature is to get some oportunity to look at
things prior to the machine rebooting.

mark@rtech.ARPA (Mark Wittenberg) (05/14/85)

> Writing a resume procedure is no mean feat.  Since exit to finder
> doesn't rebuild the system heap from scratch your takings some risks in
> letting the finder attack on your disks at that point.  Consider what
> happens if it rewrites a disk's directory without checking that the
> directory is absolutly pure and noble, bye bye data...

I guess I'm not as paranoid ... I just exit to finder.  After probably
scores (hundreds?) of exits like this I've had absolutely no trouble.
On the other hand, I haven't ever needed to do this while mucking with
files; maybe I've just been lucky.  (Actually, I really exit to SkipFinder;
that reminds me, I need to send Darin some money for it...).  Thanks for
the warning; I'll be careful about not restarting if I've been writing on
the disk.

Mark
--

Mark Wittenberg