[net.micro.mac] DST vs. Mac

paul@greipa.UUCP (Paul A. Vixie) (05/13/85)

I think the easiest thing to implement (certainly all that needs to be done
on a single-user micro) is the GMT/CUT offset.  No need to put any more logic
into the clock-tick routine; just add or subtract (with wrap from 0..23) a
certain number of hours when returning the system time from a ROM call.

In fact, since there are some free bytes in the battery-backed-up RAM, and
the ROM jump table is loaded into RAM, and it is (obviously) possible to write
a desk accessory to fiddle this extra byte of information, We Don't Need To
Wait For Apple To Implement This.

If someone does it and it gets distributed widely, Apple will put it into
the mac eventually (look at the new DA/Font Mover for an example of where
Apple gets lots of their ideas).  I would try this hack myself, but my only
language (so far) for my mac is Modula-2, which generates M-Code.

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (05/14/85)

In article <195@greipa.UUCP> paul@greipa.UUCP (Paul A. Vixie) writes:
>I think the easiest thing to implement (certainly all that needs to be done
>on a single-user micro) is the GMT/CUT offset.  No need to put any more logic
>into the clock-tick routine; just add or subtract (with wrap from 0..23) a
>certain number of hours when returning the system time from a ROM call.

I on the other hand think that the simplest possible interface is:

	1) Select Alarm Clock from Apple Menu
	2) Click on mailbox flag
	3) Click on clock face
	4) Select (with mouse) hours digits
	5) Click once on either the forward, or the backward arrow
	6) Click the close box

--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

"... Don't sue me, I'm just the piano player!...."