[net.micro.mac] Company vs Employee Software rights

cdshaw@watmum.UUCP (Chris Shaw) (05/13/85)

**THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE.. just what I remember**

In cases where there is an "agreement" to limit one's rights in some form
or other, if there is a statute in effect that guarantees that right, then
the agreement is to no binding legal effect. Thus.. an agreement to be someone's
slave is not a binding document.

The obvious thing to do, then, is to try to have legislation enacted to
ensure the rights of home hackers on home machines, notwithstanding any
agreements with your employer about your employer's "intellectual rights".

The other side to this is the situation where a nondisclosure agreement is
desired by the company because of some trade secret or another that you
would learn during employment. You could easily use the secret yourself by
quitting and starting your own company (or sell it to the Russians).

In this case, a company is (in some sense) within it rights to get after you
because of "intellectual robbery". In the DEC example cited in previous
postings, DEC is merely protecting itself in the easiest way; by preventing
any and all of its employees from doing anything. DEC is only really guilty of
using too large a scope in its agreement.

What this all means is that we need a much better definition of "intellectual
property", and some clear thinking is needed to make sure that no one's
rights are damaged.

Chris Shaw    watmath!watmum!cdshaw
University of Waterloo

pc@unisoft.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (05/17/85)

<munch>

	Just for information the California Labour Code Section 2870 reads as
follows

	Article 3.5 Inventions Made by an Employee

2780. Any provision in an employment agreement which provides that an employee
shall assign or  offer to assign any of his other rights in an invention to
his or her employer shall not apply to an invention for which no equipment,
supplies, facility, or trade secret information of the employer was used and
which was developed entirely on the employee's own time, and (a) which does not
relate (1) to the  business of the employer or (2) the the employer's actual
or demonstrably anticipated research or development, or (b) which does not result from any work performed by the employee for the employer. Any provision
which purports to apply to such an invention is to that extent against the
public policy of this state and to that extent unenforcable.

	(Copied from my own employment agreement)

	Hopefully other states have similar statutes

				Paul Campbell	..!ucbvax!unisoft!paul

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (05/20/85)

In article <461@unisoft.UUCP> pc@unisoft.UUCP (Paul Campbell) writes:
>	Just for information the California Labour Code Section 2870 reads as
>follows
>	Article 3.5 Inventions Made by an Employee
>and (a) which does not
>relate (1) to the  business of the employer

OK, so that means that Honeywell can't demand that I turn over the
copyright when I write a novel, since they aren't in the novel business.
However, if I owned a computer and developed software for it and tried
to sell it, they could easily maintain that it relates to their business
as a software development company, even if they don't currently sell
software for that particular computer.  The point is that "the business
of the employer" can be taken liberally or precisely; DEC may feel that
it is software development, while the employee may think that it is
software development on hardware manufactured by DEC.  I suspect that
the employee would lose the argument, as DEC probably has procedures for
doing contract work on other manufacturers' machines in order to sell
large, multi-vendor systems.  I know that my employer, Honeywell,
produces software for IBM-PC's (mostly for use along with our
proprietary systems, but there are some general purpose PC products).
Therefore, I doubt that I could sell PC software that I wrote at home
(if I had a PC at home).
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics