[net.micro.mac] xbin binhex compatibility

bob@harpo.UUCP (05/16/85)

I am new to getting Mac public domain software from the net, so please
pardon what must be a naive question.  I am using xbin and macput via
a UNIX system to get the files and massage them.  I notice a number of the
files state that binhex of a particular vintage should be run on the Mac
to massage the files.  To what extent are these files compatible with
xbin?  Some seem to work and others don't.
						Thanks
						Bob (ihnp4\!harpo\!bob)

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (05/20/85)

In article <2690@harpo.UUCP> bob@harpo.UUCP writes:
>...						  I notice a number of the
>files state that binhex of a particular vintage should be run on the Mac
>to massage the files.  To what extent are these files compatible with
>xbin?  Some seem to work and others don't.

If you have the latest version of xbin it is compatible with all versions
up to binhex 4.  It requires that the file contain the beginning header
 "( This file must be converted .....".  Earlier versions of xbin were not
compatible with version 4.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

"... Don't sue me, I'm just the piano player!...."