[net.micro.mac] AARRGGG.. New Font/Da Mover

pugh@cornell.UUCP (William Pugh) (05/15/85)

	I just got the new upgrade and found out that Apple's new Font/DA
Mover will still not support font ID numbers greater than 255!  Why..?
Has Apple decided that this is a feature, or are they simply to stupid to
fix it?  It's only a 2 line fix - I wrote a Font Manager program for
Quick & Dirty disk#1 (by Dreams of the Phoenix), and it's simple to handle
large font ID numbers.
		Bill Pugh
		Cornell University

gus@Shasta.ARPA (05/17/85)

> 	I just got the new upgrade and found out that Apple's new Font/DA
> Mover will still not support font ID numbers greater than 255!  Why..?
> Has Apple decided that this is a feature, or are they simply to stupid to
> fix it?  It's only a 2 line fix - I wrote a Font Manager program for
> Quick & Dirty disk#1 (by Dreams of the Phoenix), and it's simple to handle
> large font ID numbers.
> 		Bill Pugh
> 		Cornell University

As I understand, there may be bugs in the ROM font manager that keep
fonts with negative resource ID's  from working correctly.

						Gus Fernandez

lsr@apple.UUCP (Larry Rosenstein) (05/29/85)

In article <5504@Shasta.ARPA> gus@Shasta.ARPA writes:

>As I understand, there may be bugs in the ROM font manager that keep
>fonts with negative resource ID's  from working correctly.

I don't think there is any problems with the font manager handling
negative resource IDs.  (MacTerminal, for example, has a private font with
a negative resource ID.)

I talked to the person who did the Font/DA Mover, and the real answer is
that he was trying to handle owned resources.  Owned resources are supposed
to have negative resource IDs.  Unfortunately, he failed to heed the fine
print in Inside Macintosh which says that fonts (as well as some other
resource types) can't be owned resources and must be special cased.

--
Larry Rosenstein
Apple Computer

UUCP:  {nsc, dual, voder, ios}!apple!lsr
CSNET: lsr@Apple.CSNET