[net.micro.mac] MacModem responses

al@aurora.UUCP (Al Globus) (05/29/85)

Here's the response I got to the following message:

>I'm thinking about getting a modem for my mac, 300 or 1200 baud.  If
>you have an opinion on the subject, I'd like to hear it.  I will
>summarize for the net.  Thanx in advance.

I would strongly recommend the Prometheus Pro-Modem which can be had for
~$300 if you look around. I've used Hayes and US Robotics and neither are
near as good in my opinion. I should add (however) that their software stinks!

From ames!hplabs!tektronix!tekig5!philj Sat May 25 05:46:39 1985

I've used Hayes, US Robotics, and Vadic 1200 bps auto-dial modems.

The Vadic had problems with my phone line (it would hang up as soon as it
completed the call), but it worked on everyone else's phone lines.  The people
who get it to work like it a lot.  It gives you very few glitches.  It is not
"Hayes compatible"-- you have to type ^E to get it to listen to you.  This was
the most expensive modem, too.

The Hayes worked.  I guess this is the one that everyone likes.

The US Robotics modem is the least expensive, and it is Hayes compatible.
It's what I'm using now, and I'm happy with it.

Phil Jansen
Tektronix
...!tektronix!tekig5!philj

From: Bob Cralle <hplabs!hao!seismo!gymble.ARPA!lll-crg!cralle>

Prometheus ProModem 1200 hands down! ~$300 lotsa places. get option
processor & 64K memory. Then can do auto logins etc.

	Regards, &c. Bob

From: allegra!cmcl2!acf4!hkr4627 (Hedley K. J. Rainnie)

i have an anchor signalman mk12 from computer connection in cal. $225
works fine with versaterm.It is 1200baud it cannot transmit BREAK though.
I hope thats no biggie (its ok for me). Macterminal says no modem connected
but it still works fine. And finally hang up with versaterm doesnt work right.
other than that I have uploaded megabytes of freeware without a hitch.

Hedley Rainnie.

From: ihnp4!pesnta!peora!jer

I would recommend the USR Password modem.  That's what I have.  I have heard
it is the same as the Apple modem (i.e., apple OEM's it).   It works with all
the Apple software.
--
Full-Name:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer