[net.micro.mac] Megaroids problems

murlocker@water.UUCP (M. Urlocker) (05/16/85)

I've had some problems trying to get Megaroids to work with other programs.
It doesn't seem possible to add "keyboard commands" with the MAUG MenuEdit
program, or to load Megaroids as an application with Switcher 2.0.

Does anyone know what's causing these problems and how to correct them?

					mark

dtw@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Duane Williams) (05/19/85)

There is no reason to expect to be able to attach keyboard equivalents to
arbitrary menu items.  If a keyboard equivalent exists for an item, then you
will likely be able to change it to a different key, but if no key binding
exists for an item, then there is no assurance that there is code to handle
such a binding.

--
uucp: ..!seismo!cmu-cs-k!dtw
arpa: dtw@cmu-cs-k.ARPA

ech@spuxll.UUCP (Ned Horvath) (05/21/85)

Actually, because of the structure of the MenuKey call in the toolbox,
you stand a good chance of being able to assign bindings arbitrarily to
menu items if ANYTHING is control-key bound.  This doesn't mean the
programmer HAD to do it this way, but the easiest way to handle
control-key keypresses is to just let MenuKey do the work.  I do it
that way just so that I can edit the menus any way I want to and the
keyDown code doesn't have to change.

=Ned=

elwell@osu-eddie.UUCP (Clayton M. Elwell) (05/23/85)

It all depends on the program.  If it can handle any keyboard equivalents
at all, it can handle any.  It's part of the menu manager.  However, since
Megaroids pays close attention to the keyboard, I'll wager its event handler
doesn't check for command keys and send them to the menu manager.

				Clayton Elwell
				Ohio State University
				CIS Computing Facility
				...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!elwell
				elwell@ohio-state.CSNET
				elwell%ohio-state@CSNet-Relay.ARPA

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/23/85)

In article <400@cmu-cs-k.ARPA> dtw@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Duane Williams) writes:
>There is no reason to expect to be able to attach keyboard equivalents to
>arbitrary menu items.  If a keyboard equivalent exists for an item, then you
>will likely be able to change it to a different key, but if no key binding
>exists for an item, then there is no assurance that there is code to handle
>such a binding.

The way the command key code is usually written, if the program will
support ANY command key, it will support them all, and you can add what you
want with the resource editor (assuming the menus are in resources, of
course). If the program doesn't support any command keys, then chances are
that the code isn't there and even if you do add them to the menu's they'll
be ignored. That is a silly thing to do, since the code involved is rather
trivial...

--
:From the offices of Pagans for Cthulhu:          Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Who shall forgive the unrepentant?

darin@tmq.UUCP (Darin Adler) (05/28/85)

> >There is no reason to expect to be able to attach keyboard equivalents to
> >arbitrary menu items.  If a keyboard equivalent exists for an item, then you
> >will likely be able to change it to a different key, but if no key binding
> >exists for an item, then there is no assurance that there is code to handle
> >such a binding.
>
> The way the command key code is usually written, if the program will
> support ANY command key, it will support them all, and you can add what you
> want with the resource editor (assuming the menus are in resources, of
> course). If the program doesn't support any command keys, then chances are
> that the code isn't there and even if you do add them to the menu's they'll
> be ignored. That is a silly thing to do, since the code involved is rather
> trivial...

This "silly thing" is done by MacWrite (at least a bit).  When a document is
not open, no keyboard equivalents work (in the File menu).  This means, for
example, that adding a Q for Quit will not work.  This is true (at least) in
versions 2.2 and 4.5 .  (Quite annoying :-)

Darin Adler
ihnp4!tmq!darin

bhyde@inmet.UUCP (06/01/85)

Sad that a lot of applications don't support cmd keys in dialogs.
The default button on enter and CR as well as cancel on cmd-period are
often not supported.  It is particularly sad that many search/find
dialogs don't support the edit cmd-keys.
  Anybody seen an application yet that has cmd-key equivalents local
to a dialog?  For example cmd-B might turn Bold on in a text format
dialog.				ben hyde, intermetrics.