[net.micro.mac] Cancellation of Apple fileserver?

jww@bonnie.UUCP (Joel West) (05/25/85)

In Thursday's Wall Street Journal there was a cryptic article that
suggests Apple may have cancelled plans for its previously announced (and
promised "Real Soon Now") file server.  Does anyone know the straight scoop?

[WSJ, May 23, p. 2....]

...[Apple will close a factory] that made prototypes of products the
company had intended to introduce this fall.

   Those products under development, a file server and a 20-megabyte
hard-disk dirve, are important parts of Apple's office-equipment
line [called] the Macintosh Office.  When the line was introduced,
Apple officials said the two products probably would be on the market by fall.

   Apple now says it is negotiating contracts with other manufacturers
to supply a file server and the necessary disk drives.  Apple said the
equipment will bear its label.

   ...Despite the closing of the San Jose plant, Apple intends to
continue interal research efforts into hard disk products, [a spokeswoman]
said....
--
	Joel West				     (619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. - Federal 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct La Jolla 92037

   "The best is the enemy of the good" - A. Mullarney

peirce@lll-crg.ARPA (Michael Peirce) (05/30/85)

> In Thursday's Wall Street Journal there was a cryptic article that
> suggests Apple may have cancelled plans for its previously announced (and
> promised "Real Soon Now") file server.  Does anyone know the straight scoop?

The word around here in "the valley", is that the file server has been
"postponed" until *at least* next year sometime.  It's too bad.  I guess
we have to put up with n different file server protocals, rather than
have Apple establish one.

michael

dave@rocksvax.UUCP (05/31/85)

I am involved with being a certified developer and a VAR and I don't think
anyone in Apple knows what is going on.  Tommorrow (5/31) Mr. Espanosa told my
partner they are releasing a document about third party hard disks for the
Mac.  I think the story about them not making hard disks is true, but then
in dealing with Apple who knows what is right?

They are a terrible company to deal with commercially.  Months before they
cancelled the Lisa, we told them we were basing our product on it and we
have to read in the Wall Street Journal to find out that it is being cancelled.
We even had some higher up tell us to read InfoWorld or something like that
to get info, they knew more than he knew, and he works there in marketing!!!!

I hope the ROM updates are free, I feel a bit cheated having bought a brand new machine a few weeks ago from the factory and find it has all the old software.  You would think buying it from the source would get you the latest and
greatest considering this is my evaluation machine!!!

If only they didn't make such a nice machine, I would have long considered
some other machine......  We can only hope they get their act together!

Dave

arpa: Sewhuk.HENR@Xerox.ARPA
uucp: {allegra,rochester,amd,sunybcs}!rocksvax!dave

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (06/01/85)

In article <610@lll-crg.ARPA> peirce@lll-crg.ARPA (Michael Peirce) writes:
>The word around here in "the valley", is that the file server has been
>"postponed" until *at least* next year sometime.  It's too bad.  I guess
>we have to put up with n different file server protocals, rather than
>have Apple establish one.

Not what I heard. The layoffs were manufacturing people, because Apple
decided it was cheaper to buy hard disks off the shelf than it was to build
them from scratch. Considering the number of companies that do nothing but
build hard disks looking for customers right now, that is probably not far
off...

--
:From the misfiring synapses of:                  Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

This space for rent. Political, religious and racist quotes need not apply.