[net.micro.mac] Mac Books Due Out

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (05/30/85)

 got this from Compuserve:
Here is a list of some of the new books for the Macintosh that were
anounced at the recent American Bookseller's Association convention.
This list stresses programming guides because so little has been
available in the past. There are many other Mac books also forthcoming,
including a host for Lotus' Jazz. Fortunately, publishers seem to have
learned that the introductory books aren't going to sell. Watch for full
reviews of these titles on Rainbo Electronic Reviews (GO RER) as they
become available.

Que Corporation
---------------
Using Jazz
by Terry Shussler   $19.95     September

MacCats (99 ways to paint cats using MacPaint)
by Floyd Flanagan   $9.95      Fall

MacPower (using Mac software)
by Allen Munro     $15.95      Fall

Getting Inside the Macintosh; A programmer's guide
by William B. Twitty    $16.95   Fall

The Jazz Book
by Doug Clapp      $14.95     Fall

The Basics of Macintosh BASIC
by Bill Kling      $15.95     Fall

Programming C on the Macintosh
by Terry A. Ward   $19.95     Fall

Microsoft BASIC 2.0 Programming for the Mac
by Sharon Z. Aker  $17.95     Fall

Addison-Wesley
--------------
Inside Macintosh
by Apple Computer Inc.
Volume 1; user interface, memory management, ASM, toolbox    $24.95
Volume 2; disk, sound, and communication I/O                 $24.95
Volume 3; Finder info, desktop, hardare specs.               $24.95
     Three volume set   $69.85     October

The Lotus Guide to Jazz in Business
by Lotus Development Corp.     $19.95       August

PostScript Luanguage Tutorial and Cookbook
by Adobe Systems Inc.     $16.95            September

PostScript Language Reference Manual
by Adobe Systems Inc.     $22.95            September

The Macintosh Developer's Guide
by William Nisen and Dennis Brothers   $16.95    January

Macintosh Pascal Illustrated; The fear and loathing guide
by Scott Kronick     $16.95          now available

Introduction to the Lisa
by Arthur Naiman     $9.95           now available

TAB Books Inc.
--------------
MacPascal Programming
by Drew Berentes      w/disk   $27.95      June

Howard W. Sams and Co.
----------------------
Microsoft BASIC 2.0 for the Mac
by David C. Willen        $17.95    3rd qtr.

AI on the Mac
by Dan Shafer             $24.95    4th qtr.

C on the Macintosh
by David Eyes             $18.95    4th qtr.

Using Mac Pascal
by Cassidy and Steinberg  $15.95    4th qtr.

Sybex Computer Books
--------------------
The Macintosh Toolbox
by Huxham, Burnard, and Takatsuka   $21.95    October

Mastering MacProject
by Jonathan Kamim         $21.95     October

Programming the Macintosh in Assembly Language
by Steve Williams         $24.95     November

Osborne/McGraw-Hill
-------------------
Macintosh Game Animation
by Ron Person             $15.95     July

The First Book of Macintosh Pascal
by George Stewart         $14.95     July

Macintosh Graphics and Sound
by David Kater            $17.95     September

Prentice-Hall
-------------
Macintosh Graphics in Modula-2
by Russell L. Schnapp     $19.95     August

The Soul of Macintosh
by The Waite Group        $19.95     November

Hayden Book Company
-------------------
Macintosh Revealed vols. 1 and 2
by Steve Chernicoff  vol. 1  $24.95      vol. 2   $29.95      June

Basic Microsoft BASIC for the Macintosh (v 2.0)
by James and Louisa Coan     $18.95      May
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

"... Don't sue me, I'm just the piano player!...."

ndd@duke.UUCP (Ned Danieley) (05/31/85)

I was pleased to see the article listing books for the
Mac, but it raised a question that we have been pondering
recently: Is there a good book with a level of sophistication
somewhere between the standard "this is a mouse..." and
Inside Macintosh? Most of the books I have seen are too
general, and one of our users was somewhat intimidated by
IM. Any suggestions?

Ned Danieley
duke!ndd

jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (Joel West) (06/03/85)

In article <1469@amdcad.UUCP> jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) writes:

> got this from Compuserve:
>Here is a list of some of the new books for the Macintosh that were
>anounced at the recent American Bookseller's Association convention.

>Prentice-Hall
>-------------
>Macintosh Graphics in Modula-2
>by Russell L. Schnapp     $19.95     August
>
>The Soul of Macintosh
>by The Waite Group        $19.95     November

P-H once had plans for many more books.  When they were bought by the
conglomerate Gulf & Western (which recently later merged P-H with
their another subsidiary, Simon & Schuster) they got real chicken.
They cancelled a 5-book Mac series (due out in June) from a local company,
Microtrend books of San Diego, as well as 2 other Microtrend
PC books.  Needless to say, there is one pissed-off owner, several
pissed-off, laid-off ex-employees, at least two pissed-off literary
agents, and a half-dozen really mad would-be authors.

I'm told P-H did this with other computer books as well.  Needless
to say, there has been a shakeout recently in the computer book
publishing field, but I've heard things will be improving slightly
(though not so much as to equal last year's high).

--
	Joel West	CACI, Inc. -- Federal
	{allegra, decvax, ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww

The opinions expressed are not necessarily anybody's, including my own...

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (06/04/85)

In article <5886@duke.UUCP> ndd@duke.UUCP (Ned D. Danieley) writes:
>I was pleased to see the article listing books for the
>Mac,...
>...		Is there a good book with a level of sophistication
>somewhere between the standard "this is a mouse..." and
>Inside Macintosh?

Macintosh Revealed, two volumes, Volume 1 due in a matter of days, Volume
2 due in the summer.

I haven't seen it so I don't know if it's "good" but it is supposed to be in
at such a level.