[net.micro.mac] Common Lisp and Object Oriented Programming

winkler@harvard.ARPA (Dan Winkler) (06/03/85)

Is it possible to use the features in Common Lisp to do object oriented
programming?  I know you can store functions on property lists and
think of the property name as a message and its value as a method, but
that doesn't provide any sort of inheritance.

The reason I ask is that, although I love Smalltalk and would rather
use it, I don't have access to a practical Smalltalk implementation.
We do have Berkeley Smalltalk here on the Suns, but it is really too
slow for serious work.  Besides, what I really want is Smalltalk on my
Macintosh, but the last I heard was you still need a Lisa to run
Apple's Smalltalk.  What I can get for my Mac now is Experlisp, which
is reportedly (I haven't actually seen it) similar to Common Lisp.
Since I think that object oriented programming and packages like
Apple's MacApp are currently the best bet for producing Macintosh-like
programs with a finite amount of effort, I'd like to use those
techniques in a native, interactive development environment and the
only such environment I've heard of being currently available is
Experlisp.

Sorry this query is so confused.  I hope someone can shed some light on
the question.

sidney@linus.UUCP (Sidney Markowitz) (06/04/85)

In article <157@harvard.ARPA> winkler@harvard.ARPA (Dan Winkler) writes:
>Is it possible to use the features in Common Lisp to do object oriented
>programming?
> [ . . . deleted mention of desire to do it on a Macintosh . . . ]
>only such environment I've heard of being currently available is
>Experlisp.

The Expertelligence people claim that Experlisp will have full support for
object oriented programming "Real Soon Now", with sophisticated inheritance
and so forth. I seem to recall some mention of a Flavors compatibility
package, but I'm not sure of that.

--
					Sidney Markowitz

ARPA:	sidney@mitre-bedford
UUCP:	...{allegra,decvax,genrad,ihnp4,philabs,security,utzoo}!linus!sidney

cpd@ucla-cs.UUCP (06/07/85)

> Macintosh, but the last I heard was you still need a Lisa to run
> techniques in a native, interactive development environment and the
> only such environment I've heard of being currently available is
> Experlisp.

ExperLisp does not currently implement lexical closures.  That makes it
difficult to creat an object oriented system.

-Charlie Dolan
Subject: Re: Common Lisp and Object Oriented Programming
Newsgroups: net.lang.lisp,net.lang.st80,net.ai,net.micro.mac

> Is it possible to use the features in Common Lisp to do object oriented
> programming?  I know you can store functions on property lists and
> think of the property name as a message and its value as a method, but
> that doesn't provide any sort of inheritance.
>
> The reason I ask is that, although I love Smalltalk and would rather
> use it, I don't have access to a practical Smalltalk implementation.
> We do have Berkeley Smalltalk here on the Suns, but it is really too
> slow for serious work.  Besides, what I really want is Smalltalk on my
> Macintosh, but the last I heard was you still need a Lisa to run
> Apple's Smalltalk.  What I can get for my Mac now is Experlisp, which
> is reportedly (I haven't actually seen it) similar to Common Lisp.
> Since I think that object oriented programming and packages like
> Apple's MacApp are currently the best bet for producing Macintosh-like
> programs with a finite amount of effort, I'd like to use those
> techniques in a native, interactive development environment and the
> only such environment I've heard of being currently available is
> Experlisp.
>
> Sorry this query is so confused.  I hope someone can shed some light on
> the question.

thompson@oberon.UUCP (mark thompson) (06/07/85)

[Note: Newsgroups pruned]
> from Dan Winkler:
> The reason I ask is that, although I love Smalltalk and would rather
> use it, I don't have access to a practical Smalltalk implementation.
> ... Besides, what I really want is Smalltalk on my
> Macintosh, but the last I heard was you still need a Lisa to run
> Apple's Smalltalk. ...
> Since I think that object oriented programming and packages like
> Apple's MacApp are currently the best bet for producing Macintosh-like
> programs with a finite amount of effort, I'd like to use those
> techniques in a native, interactive development environment and the
> only such environment I've heard of being currently available is
> Experlisp.

I have replied directly, but thought i would post a general comment
also. Kriya systems is selling NEON, which is kind of like forth
masquerading as smalltalk. The good news is that it is designed for
building macintosh applications. I have just started using it, so
can't make a recommendation, but from the manual, it looks like
wonderful things could be done.

Kriya Systems
505 N. Lakeshore
Chicago, IL 60611

-mark

ps. I don't know anybody there (obviously), and the university does
not endorse this or any other products except their own.
--
mark thompson		is  THOMPSON@USC-ECLC.ARPA
or { ihnp4 | hplabs | akgua | sdcsvax} !sdcrdcf!uscvax!oberon!thompson

shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore) (06/10/85)

[]
> From: cpd@ucla-cs.UUCP
> ExperLisp does not currently implement lexical closures.  That makes it
> difficult to creat an object oriented system.

The keyword there is currently.  Expertelligence is promising to add
closures in future versions (though they didn't say how soon ... )  Version
1.1 will allow programmers to define our own classes, a feature missing from
this release.

BTW, an OPS-5 has already been written in ExperLisp.
--
Melinda Shore
University of Chicago Computation Center

uucp:     ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!shor
Bitnet:	  shor%sphinx@uchicago.bitnet