[net.micro.mac] Mac PSL 1.1 Available

jwp@utah-cs.UUCP (John W Peterson) (06/11/85)

[For those not tuned into fa.info-mac...]

From: Robert R. Kessler <KESSLER@UTAH-20.ARPA>
Subject: Mac PSL Version 1.1
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
cc: jw-peterson@UTAH-20.ARPA

Portable Standard Lisp for the Macintosh is now available.  This is a
subset version of PSL which currently runs on a wide range of machines,
including the Cray-XMP, IBM 370 series, Vaxen under both VMS and Unix,
Apollo, HP Series 200, Sun and others.  This version has been used
successfully for two quarters in an introductory computer science class.
It will operate on a 128K Mac with a single drive (the 128K version is
limited with a small 1200 item heap and 100 symbol table entries - but is
sufficient for small educational applications).  We also include a 512K
version that has the same functionality, but a 45K item heap and a 1000
free symbol table entries.  The system also includes a window based editor
with paren bouncing and auto indentation.

Since this is being distributed by the University we will be distributing
it in the same manner as we distribute our other PSL systems.  You must
sign a license agreement and send us the purchase price (or a purchase
order) and we will ship the system.  Included are two disks (with the 128K
and 512K versions, a set of lessons for learning how to write Lisp programs
and a few sample programs - NOTHING is copy protected) and a reference
manual describing the features of the language (the manual is not
sufficient for learning Lisp, so we recommend textbooks like Touretzky's "A
Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation" for those non computer
scientists or Winston and Horn's "Lisp - Second Edition" for you hackers or
wait for my new book "Objective Lisp" {Not due out until next year, so I
wouldn't really wait ;-) }).

We are offering a site license to universities and companies that wish to
use the system on multiple of their machines (for $2500).

Cost for the disk, manual and shipping is just $75.00.  Please send us your
US Mail address, and we will mail you a copy of the license agreement for
your signature (or if you are in a hurry, send us a message and we will
send you a reply containing the license which you should print out, sign
and return with your remittance).

Future plans for Mac PSL are the following, in the approximate order we
will do them (the 128K version is pretty well frozen due to memory
limitations, extensions will be made to the 512K version):

  a) Add a simple objects package to allow interface to the Mac Toolbox
  b) Add more of the PSL functionality (at least a full Standard Lisp)
  c) Attempt to get part of the REDUCE algebra system running
  d) Attempt to add the compiler

If you have technical questions, please send mail to
(kessler@utah-20.arpa or jw-peterson@utah-20.arpa).  For ordering and
administrative information, please send mail to my secretary
(cruse@utah-20.arpa).

Bob.

[Usenet technical inquires can be sent to {ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!jwp,
utah-cs!kessler, or for administrative details, utah-cs!cruse]