[net.micro.mac] Posting broken/non-Public Domain DA's

brian@ut-sally.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) (06/12/85)

> Recently someone posted a set of desk accessories, including a pair of
> calculators, something called "Show Key Caps", and "Paint Grabber".  Of
> the four, the first two crash the Mac instantly, and the third not only
>
> PLEASE, people, try things out before you post them! ...
>
> 				Nathan C. Myers
> 				tektronix!orstcs!sonix1!nathan

     The calculators ran okay for me, maybe it was just your copy.  (I have
only a meager 128K mac, maybe you have a 512K, and the DA isn't 512K
compatible.)  (Gosh, wouldn't that be a switch.)

     Anyway.  I think the calculators come from a disk sold under the name
"MacOffice".  I'm not sure they are public domain.  I don't have MacOffice, so
I don't know if they allow free distribution of these DA's.  (Somebody with
the program might check that out.)
     I'd hate for this to turn into another SmoothTalker/VersaTerm scandal.
PLEASE, people, try to find out where the programs you post come from and try
to make sure that you aren't posting a commercial program.

Brian H. Powell      brian@ut-sally.{ARPA,UUCP}

		 U.S. Mail:		 Southwestern Bell
		P.O. Box 5899		451-0842
		Austin, TX 78763
					 AT&T
					(512) 451-0842

tim@callan.UUCP (Tim Smith) (06/17/85)

The new key caps DA does not work on my Mac ( 128k ).  I got it from a
dealer who had a disk with about 40 DA's.  I know someone who knows
someone who it does work for, so it looks like there is a bad copy
being passed around and a good copy.

--
					Tim Smith
				ihnp4!{cithep,wlbr!callan}!tim

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (06/18/85)

In article <1028@callan.UUCP> tim@callan.UUCP (Tim Smith) writes:
>The new key caps DA does not work on my Mac ( 128k ).  I got it from a
>someone who it does work for, so it looks like there is a bad copy
>being passed around and a good copy.

Unfortunately, the problem is that the DA does not properly support
being renumbered.  After installing it in a system you must edit the
system with the resource editor, open the MENU resource associated
with the DA and change the ID number IN the resource to match ID number
at the top of the edit window.  This must be done every time you install
it.  People who have used it without taking this step may have been
lucky in using the old PD DAMover which does not renumber a DA unless
necessary.  The Apple Font/DA Mover always renumbers.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

"... Don't sue me, I'm just the piano player!...."