[net.micro.mac] Proposal for DeSmet C review

tim@callan.UUCP (Tim Smith) (06/18/85)

I have seen requests here and on Compuserve for reviews of DeSmet C, but
noone seems to be buying the thing!  Are you ALL being cowardly ( like me )
and waiting for a review first?

What I want to know is, how many people would be willing to chip in to
buy a copy so we can get a review?  It would work like this:

	1.  Everybody chips in 10 bucks or so. ( need 15 people ).

	2.  We choose one of the contributers at random and buy
	    that person DeSmet C.

	3.  In return for being able to try it out for only $10, the
	    person chosen must agree to provide a detailed review to
	    the rest of us, and answer questions.

I would be willing to contribute 10 bucks if there were 14 others, or maybe
even twenty if there are only 6.5 others.  Any one else willing?

Afterwards, we could do the following:

	Let n be the number of people who, after seeing the review from
	the person who got it, want to buy a copy.

	if n is zero, we are all out 10 bucks.

	if n is > 0, we choose a person at random from the n who want it,
	and that person buys it for the full $150 price from the group,
	so we get our money back.  The other n-1 order from DeSmet.

	if 5 <= n && n <= 10 there is a 15% discount from DeSmet, and if
	n > 10 there is a 25% discount, so we could deal with that here
	also, if enough people are interested after the review. ( note:
	these numbers are from memory -- they may be wrong ).

Any one interested?
--
					Tim Smith
				ihnp4!{cithep,wlbr!callan}!tim

schuh@geowhiz.UUCP (David Schuh) (06/20/85)

Tim Smith writes:
> I have seen requests here and on Compuserve for reviews of DeSmet C, but
> noone seems to be buying the thing!  Are you ALL being cowardly ( like me )
> and waiting for a review first?
>
> What I want to know is, how many people would be willing to chip in to
> buy a copy so we can get a review?  It would work like this:
>
> 	1.  Everybody chips in 10 bucks or so. ( need 15 people ).
>
> 	2.  We choose one of the contributers at random and buy
> 	    that person DeSmet C.
>
> 	3.  In return for being able to try it out for only $10, the
> 	    person chosen must agree to provide a detailed review to
> 	    the rest of us, and answer questions.

    I think the spirit of this idea is really great! With a little
care and planning it would be feasable and if adopted would be a great
help to all interested in buying software.  Does anyone else think
that this plan could become a general practice for general software
As I have mentioned before There appears to be NO knowledgeable dealers
in my area and they are certainly not up to date.  This might be one way
of aleviating some of that problem.

    Any comments?  Any one else dissatisfied with their local retailers?

			david schuh
			!uwvax!geowhiz!schuh

tomk@ur-laser.uucp (Tom Kessler) (06/21/85)

We could also perhaps mail the one copy of DeSmet C or whatever around to
each member of the group for a few days or so to let them try it out.
(this would take order 15 weeks for fifteen people but if your willing to
pay $20 everyone could get a chance to try it out within 7 weeks or so.)
--
		   Tom Kessler {allegra |seismo }!rochester!ur-laser!tomk