[net.micro.mac] Megamax C under Unix

kdmoen@watcgl.UUCP (Doug Moen) (06/16/85)

>A Megamax c -Unix cross compiler is now available.  I quote from the
>newsletter:
>
>"June 1, 1985 we will release Megamax C running under a UNIX enviornment.
>Developers will be able to create Macintosh applications using the power of
>the UNIX operating system.  The system is comprised of all programs on the
>Macintosh version of Megamax C with the addition of a UNIX based resource
>compiler and a down-load desk accessory for the Macintosh.  Price is $3000."

Sumacc is available free of charge and works quite well.
You do need a Vax running 4.1bsd, 4.2bsd or Eunice to use it
in its distributed form.  If you don't know anybody that you can
get a copy from, there is a company in Sunnyvale CA who will send you
a tape for $65.  I'm willing to mail out ordering information if anyone out
there wants it.

If anyone knows a good reason why someone with a copy of Sumacc would want
to buy the Megamax C Unix cross-compiler, I'd be fascinated in hearing it.

Doug Moen, U of Waterloo Computer Graphics Lab

shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore) (06/16/85)

[]
> From: kdmoen@watcgl.UUCP (Doug Moen)
> If anyone knows a good reason why someone with a copy of Sumacc would want
> to buy the Megamax C Unix cross-compiler, I'd be fascinated in hearing it.

The Megamax library lowercases ROM calls.  For example, ClearMenuBar would be
called as clearmenubar (or Clearmenubar -- I forget which).  Code that
compiles under Sumacc won't compile under Megamax.  (Well, I didn't promise
a *good* reason ... ).

A better reason is that people who are involved in large development projects
like to use tools that are provided by companies legally bound to support
them.
--
Melinda Shore
University of Chicago Computation Center

uucp:     ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!shor
Bitnet:	  shor%sphinx@uchicago.bitnet

sas1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Stuart Schmukler) (06/17/85)

Don't forget that Megamax can do over lays.

SaS

peirce@lll-crg.ARPA (Michael Peirce) (06/18/85)

> >A Megamax c -Unix cross compiler is now available.  I quote from the
> >newsletter:
> >
> >"June 1, 1985 we will release Megamax C running under a UNIX enviornment.
> >Developers will be able to create Macintosh applications using the power of
> >the UNIX operating system.  The system is comprised of all programs on the
> >Macintosh version of Megamax C with the addition of a UNIX based resource
> >compiler and a down-load desk accessory for the Macintosh.  Price is $3000."
>
> Sumacc is available free of charge and works quite well.
> You do need a Vax running 4.1bsd, 4.2bsd or Eunice to use it
> in its distributed form.  If you don't know anybody that you can
> get a copy from, there is a company in Sunnyvale CA who will send you
> a tape for $65.  I'm willing to mail out ordering information if anyone out
> there wants it.
>
> If anyone knows a good reason why someone with a copy of Sumacc would want
> to buy the Megamax C Unix cross-compiler, I'd be fascinated in hearing it.
>
> Doug Moen, U of Waterloo Computer Graphics Lab

The first thing that comes to mind is that Megamax C does support the
Mac's memory management.  That can be a big plus when you are developing
large programs for 128K Macs.  Another reason might be that you've started
developing using Megamax C on a Macintosh, but decided to go full blast
ahead and want the speed of a Vax to complile/link/etc your programs.

michael

sjl@amdahl.UUCP (Steve Langdon) (06/18/85)

> >A Megamax c -Unix cross compiler is now available.  I quote from the
> >newsletter:
> Sumacc is available free of charge and works quite well.
> You do need a Vax running 4.1bsd, 4.2bsd or Eunice to use it
> in its distributed form.  If you don't know anybody that you can
> get a copy from, there is a company in Sunnyvale CA who will send you
> a tape for $65.  I'm willing to mail out ordering information if anyone out
> there wants it.
>
> If anyone knows a good reason why someone with a copy of Sumacc would want
> to buy the Megamax C Unix cross-compiler, I'd be fascinated in hearing it.
>
> Doug Moen, U of Waterloo Computer Graphics Lab

We have a copy of Sumacc that runs quite nicely on UTS (Amdahl's port of
System V Rel 2) thanks to John Chmielewski of AT&T who did a nice port to
System V and cleaned up a lot of Vax specific code.  Things compile a lot
faster on an Amdahl mainframe than they do on my Mac (or a Vax for that matter).
However, I find Mac C from Consulair a more useful development system for many
programs.  One of the advantages is support of the C Standard IO library calls.
If you are trying to port a useful C program from another system you do not
always want to convert all of the IO to Mac traps.  For example, I have ported
the excellent compress program that has been distributed on the net a couple of
times.  It would be much more difficult to do this using SuMacC.

Another major reason to use Mac C is that it supports the Mac segment loader.
Big applications compiled on SumMacC will not run on a 128K Mac.  I believe
that Megamax also supports the segment loader.

I could continue, but I hope that the point is made.  None of what I have said
should be taken as criticism of Bill Croft who has done the Mac programming
community a great service by his work on SumMacC.  Rather, I was attempting to
show that other compilers have their own advantages to offer.  Melinda Shore's
comment that mentions Megamax's non-standard toolbox names shows that there
are some screwups to watch out for too.

--
Stephen J. Langdon                  ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,sun,nsc}!amdahl!sjl

[ The article above is not an official statement from any organization
  in the known universe. ]

dave@rocksvax.UUCP (06/19/85)

About the lower case names, they have a hack program that will translate the
"correct" names to the all lower case names that they used.  It will
back-convert also.  I really wish they would have used the Inside Mac
names or the Unix standard capitalizations but they decided to use
their own.  Personally I find things like findwindow() much harder to
read the FindWindow().

Dave

arpa: Sewhuk.HENR@Xerox.ARPA
uucp: {allegra,ihnp4,rochester,amd,sunybcs}!rocksvax!dave

jhf@lanl.ARPA (06/21/85)

> About the lower case names, they have a hack program that will translate the
> "correct" names to the all lower case names that they used.  It will
> back-convert also.  I really wish they would have used the Inside Mac
> names or the Unix standard capitalizations but they decided to use
> their own.  Personally I find things like findwindow() much harder to
> read the FindWindow().

Can't you just do with an include file with definitions like

#define FindWindow findwindow

?