[net.micro.mac] Apple Laserwriter & VAXEN & AppleTalk ?

dolf@uva.UUCP (Dolf Starreveld) (06/28/85)

From what I read on the net, I think there are some sites that are using
the Apple Laserwriter from their Unix machines, as well as via the
AppleTalk network.
What I would like to know is:

1) Am I correct in this?
2) How have you connected the Laserwriter to both AppleTalk and Unix (VAX?)
3) Do you share the Laserwriter between the two?
4) Is it true that while talking to the Laserwriter via the RS232 port you
   can only use one built in font?
5) Does somebody market an interface that connects a VAX (Unix or VMS) to
   AppleTalk, i.e. some form of H/S-DLC protocol card?
6) Anybody have specific information on the above for VAXEN running VMS?

In case of enough replies I will summarize to the net.

--
			Dolf Starreveld
			Computer Science Department, University of Amsterdam

Usenet:			{seismo, philabs, decvax}!mcvax!uva!dolf
Normal mail:		Dolf Starreveld
			Computer Science Department
			University of Amsterdam
			Kruislaan 409
			Amsterdam
			The Netherlands

stew@harvard.ARPA (Stew Rubenstein) (06/29/85)

Dolf Starreveld  <mcvax!uva!dolf>  writes:

> From what I read on the net, I think there are some sites that are using
> the Apple Laserwriter from their Unix machines, as well as via the
> AppleTalk network.
> What I would like to know is:
>
> 1) Am I correct in this?

Yes.  I have a LaserWriter which I use both with my Mac and my Vax (VMS,
not unix, but anyone who can grok RS-232...)

> 2) How have you connected the Laserwriter to both AppleTalk and Unix (VAX?)

I just change the switch on the back from AppleTalk to 9600.  The 9 pin
connector is hooked to AppleTalk and the 25 pin to my vax.

> 3) Do you share the Laserwriter between the two?
> 4) Is it true that while talking to the Laserwriter via the RS232 port you
>    can only use one built in font?

This is true when you are using the LaserWriter in Diablo630 emulation
mode.  You choose one font and size and that's what you get.  HOWEVER,
it is NOT true when sending PostScript from the Vax to the LaserWriter.
In this case, you can do anything that PostScript lets you do.

> 5) Does somebody market an interface that connects a VAX (Unix or VMS) to
>    AppleTalk, i.e. some form of H/S-DLC protocol card?

Look into Stanford's seagate board.  I know little about this, other than
that it exists.  If no one from Stanford replies to your request, then try
mailing to Croft@SUMEX.ARPA.

> 6) Anybody have specific information on the above for VAXEN running VMS?

It works.  I have written a SLAC Unified Graphics System driver that generates
PostScript output, and I can send it to the LaserWriter, and get all the
pretty pictures that I used to do on an HP plotter.

Stew Rubenstein
Harvard Chemical Labs
rubenstein@harvard.arpa
{seismo, ut-sally, ihnp4} ! harvard ! rubenstein