[net.micro.mac] Termcap file for MacTerminal's VT100

norman@sdcsla.UUCP (Donald A. Norman) (06/29/85)

MacTerminal seems to require the vt100 termcap setting when being used on a
UNIX vax (4.2BSD).  Our termcap file for the VT100 has neither line insert
nor line delete.  Presumably MacTerminal's software is
capable of such operations.   Is there a termcap file around for
MacTerminal that supports these (or other features)?

Without it, it makes editing on a UNIX system under vi more painful than
necessary.

 Donald A. Norman
 Institute for Cognitive Science C-015
 University of California, San Diego
 La Jolla, California 92093
 UNIX: {ucbvax,decvax}!sdcsvax!sdcsla!norman
 ARPA: norman@nprdc	CSNET: norman%nprdc.arpa@csnet-relay

edmoy@ucbopal.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (07/01/85)

In article <921@sdcsla.UUCP> norman@sdcsla.UUCP (Donald A. Norman) writes:
>MacTerminal seems to require the vt100 termcap setting when being used on a
>UNIX vax (4.2BSD).  Our termcap file for the VT100 has neither line insert
>nor line delete.  Presumably MacTerminal's software is
>capable of such operations.   Is there a termcap file around for
>MacTerminal that supports these (or other features)?
>
>Without it, it makes editing on a UNIX system under vi more painful than
>necessary.
>
> Donald A. Norman
> Institute for Cognitive Science C-015
> University of California, San Diego
> La Jolla, California 92093
> UNIX: {ucbvax,decvax}!sdcsvax!sdcsla!norman
> ARPA: norman@nprdc	CSNET: norman%nprdc.arpa@csnet-relay

In my own experience with MacTerminal termcap entries, I have yet to find one
that works at 9600 baud, which is what I use at work.  Many do work at 1200
baud, but the standard VT-100 termcap works at all baud rates.  For
simplicity, I just use the VT-100 one.

Edward Moy
Academic Computing Services
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@ucbopal.APRA
ucbvax!ucbopal!edmoy

schuh@geowhiz.UUCP (David Schuh) (07/02/85)

> In article <921@sdcsla.UUCP> norman@sdcsla.UUCP (Donald A. Norman) writes:
> >MacTerminal seems to require the vt100 termcap setting when being used on a
> >UNIX vax (4.2BSD).  Our termcap file for the VT100 has neither line insert
> >nor line delete.  Presumably MacTerminal's software is
> >capable of such operations.   Is there a termcap file around for
> >MacTerminal that supports these (or other features)?
> >
> >Without it, it makes editing on a UNIX system under vi more painful than
> >necessary.
> >
> > Donald A. Norman
> > Institute for Cognitive Science C-015
> > University of California, San Diego
> > La Jolla, California 92093
> > UNIX: {ucbvax,decvax}!sdcsvax!sdcsla!norman
> > ARPA: norman@nprdc	CSNET: norman%nprdc.arpa@csnet-relay
>
> In my own experience with MacTerminal termcap entries, I have yet to find one
> that works at 9600 baud, which is what I use at work.  Many do work at 1200
> baud, but the standard VT-100 termcap works at all baud rates.  For
> simplicity, I just use the VT-100 one.
>
> Edward Moy
> Academic Computing Services
> University of California
> Berkeley, CA  94720
>
> edmoy@ucbopal.APRA
> ucbvax!ucbopal!edmoy

Im not sure I'm on the same wavelength as you guys about termcaps but
I have been useing this termcap successfully for many moons now.  I
believe it came off of arpanet.  In regard to Donalds Q, Im  not
sure it will do what you ask. Regarding Edward's comment this most
definatly works at 9600 baud, I use it there often.
The termcap is Am, I source the following file when I log in on
my mac with macterminal.  It works fine at any baud rate I've tried.

				hope it helps
				dave
				!uwvax!geowhiz!schuh

#	TERMCAP for macintosh.
#
#	Am|macintosh|Apple Macintosh with MacTerminal:\
echo "setting up for macterminal"
setenv TERM vt100
setenv TERMCAP ':am:bl=^G:bs:cd=\E[J:ce=\E[K:cl=\E[;H\E[2J:cm=\E[%i%d;%dH:\
	:co#80:cr=^M:dl=\E[M:do=\E[B:ho=\E[H:kb=^H:kd=\E[B:kh=\E[H:\
	:kl=\E[D:kn#4:kr=\E[C:ku=\E[A:k1=\EOP:k2=\EOQ:k2=\EOR:k4=\EOS:\
	:le=\E[D:li#24:nd=\E[C:nl=^J:pt:se=\E[m:sf=\ED:so=\E[7m:sr=\EM:\
	:ue=\E[m:up=\E[A:us=\E[1;4m:xn:'
#
#
# END OF TERMCAP
#

norman@sdcsla.UUCP (Donald A. Norman) (07/04/85)

Sorry folks, but my TERMCAP problem still exists.
Thanks for the several replies I have gotten and the several new termcaps.
But perhaps I didn't make the problem clear.

Technical configuration:
MacTerminal 1.1, emulating a VT100, logged on to either a SUN
workstation or a VAX running BSD4.2 UNIX.   Baud rate:  a phone line at 2400
Baud or a direct line at 9600 Baud.  Also tested at 300 Baud.

In the text editor vi, using TERMCAPS VT100 or am:

Here is the problem.

Suppose I have a full screen of text.   I go to the middle of the screen and
delete N lines (with the command Ndd).  The lines get replaced with the symbol
@
Just like above -- an @ in the first character position.

No No -- that's not what I want.  I want the lines to dissapear and for the
empty space to instantly close up, to be replaced with new text scrolled in
from the bottom.  This is how all intelligent terminals work.  Only really dumb
terminals (technical term) don't have line delete and line insert so that they
have to stick in a @ and can't get rid of the empty space.

Now I know that the Macintosh can do better.  Someone sent me a termcaps
that did do just what I wanted.  So I know that Macterminal can do better.
Alas, that termcaps couldn't keep the screen info unscrambled, so it had to be
junked.

So, if you get @ signs when you delete a line in vi, then yours is NOT the
termcaps I want and you are defrauding yourself.
	(I had better also say that yes, I realize I can get a new clean page
	image by repainting the screen each time with a ^L, but that is a
	pretty kludgy solution, very slow, and not satisfactory.)

One correspondent said I should simply junk MacTerminal and try his (public
domain) kermit.  I will indeed give that a try as soon as I can.

Any other advice?

 Donald A. Norman