[net.micro.mac] Followup on "Digitizing photo to MacPaint."

frankk@mcvax.UUCP (Frank Kuiper) (07/18/85)

Some time ago I asked netland for info on how to digitize
something, so MacPaint could read it. Well here is my reply
to the net, as promised.

In the may issue of MacWorld  I found some adds on two digitizers
not mentioned in the replies I got:
1)	Mac Private Eye
	I/O Video Inc
	225 Third St
	Cambridge, MA 02142
	(617) 547 4141

	This is a video digitizer. Costs $595, and it doesn't say if
	that includes a camera.

2)	Mac Tablet
	Summagraphics Corp.
	777 State Street Extension
	P.O. Box 781
	Fairfield, CT 06430.
	(203) 384 1344.

	This uses a tablet on which a photo is placed. You digitize
	it using a pen on that tablet. It clames to have a resolution
	of 500 lines per inch. The MacWorld add lets you take a $50
	rebate if you send in a coupon to the above mentioned address.
	It does not say what the thing costs ...

Most people mentioned ThunderScan, which is probably the most
popular one around. Some of the responses are rather long, so you
best print it and read it by the fire side ...

               Frank
                                                                      ___
Frank Kuiper, CWI, Amsterdam.                                    _][__| |
...{decvax,philabs,seismo,okstate,garfield}!mcvax!frankk        <_______|-1
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.       O-O-O

From: cvaxa!sakw

There are at least 4 digitizers for the Mac; they were reviewed in MacWorld
a couple of issues ago (April issue, FK).
Prices are US$300 up & they all generate MacPaint format files.

Regards, Sak W

From: John W. Peterson <seismo!UTAH-20.ARPA!utah-cs!JW-Peterson>

There's a widget called "ThunderScan" that uses a light sensor hooked up
to the imagewriter printhead to digitize photos.

We've written software here to create macpaint pictures from other sources,
and it works reasonably well (though not great...).
-------

From: decvax!ucbvax!cc-20 (Peter "Arrrgh" Korn)

The hard&software that I use (and the best, from what I've seen) is
ThunderWare by the man of Switcher fame, Andy Hertzfield.  As a bonus,
the software will allow you to cut as large a piece as you want of
a MacPaint document (and will actually create MacPaint format documents
that are larger than normal sized, if the thing digitized is larger.

Peter Korn
ASUC Computer Store
U.C. Berkeley

P.S.  Offhand, I don't know our price.  It's something under $200.
From: seismo!cmcl2!lanl!lrb (Loren Berg)

Frank:

I have been using the ThunderScan manufactured by Thunderware, Inc. for about
a week. The ThunderScan system consists of a scanner cartridge and a software
package for manipulating digitized images.

The scanner replaces the ribbon cartridge in the ImageWriter and can
digitize any flat image that can be rolled through the printer. The printer
cable plugs into a switch box which is then plugged into the printer port
on the Mac. A switch allows switching between the scanner and the printer.
It is also possible to plug the scanner into the modem port and leave the
printer plugged into the printer port in this case you don't need the switch.

The software allows you to set the contrast, brightness and size of the scan.
The image can be digitized into a MacPaint-like format (one bit/pixel) or it
can be digitized in 32 grey levels. The size of the image can be reduced or
enlarged by as much as 400% depending on image size, memory size and
available disc space. If the grey levels are saved you can alter
the brightness and contrast of the image after scanning to improve the
quality of the picture. The application also has a few of the MacPaint
editing tools: selector, scroller, pencil, eraser and FatBits. An image
can be saved as a ThunderScan file (along with its grey scale) or as a
MacPaint file or both. The format of the ThunderScan file is documented
so you can write other applications to use it.

Advantages of the system:
. The high quality of the resulting images - if the 400% enlargement is used
  it scans almost 300 dots/inch.
. The software used for editing and enhancing the image is very good.
. The documentation is good.
. It is not copy protected.
. The price is reasonable - retail is $229.00 and you do not need a video
  camera.

Disadvantages:
. The only problem that I've found is that the scanning process can be slow.
  Depending on memory size and image size it can take more than 30 minutes
  to digitize a page. A 512K memory and a hard disc would probably reduce
  this time.

Conclusion: It is one of the best products I've seen for the Mac.

The company is: Thunderware, Inc.
		21 Orinda Way
		Orinda, CA  94583
		(415) 254-6581

					Hope this helps,

					Loren Berg.

From: Doug Moen <seismo!ihnp4!watmath!watcgl!kdmoen>

Here's everything you need to know:

Doug Moen (watmath!watcgl!kdmoen)
University of Waterloo Computer Graphics Lab

From: M. Urlocker <seismo!ihnp4!watmath!water!murlocker>

I beleive there was an article on a number of digitizers available in an
issue of Macworld in the last few months.  There are a number of systems
available including Thunderscan which hooks up to your imagewriter and
turns it into an *input* device.

							mark
From: seismo!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois (Paul DuBois)

I've heard of Thunderscan - I think you're right about the price.
$229, I believe.

It's an interesting concept - using the printer as an INPUT device!
An idea that Hertzfeld (inventor of Thunderscan) is supposedly working
on is a software digitization process where information would be printed
with the printer in an encoded format (like the UPC bar codes used on food).
Then you could just photocopy off a bunch of copies, and mail them out.
People would load the paper in their printers, and Thunderscan them into
the machine.  Kind of a neat idea...

Yours,
Paul DuBois

I have digitized photos on a Wang PIC (Professional Imaging Computer) and
converted from the PIC native format to MacPaint format.  I then used
MacTerminal to move the converted image to the Mac and SetFile to change
the file type and creator so that MacPaint would open it.

There is one thing I will say that I found very useful.
The MacPaint format involves PackBits for data compression.  When building
your own MacPaint-format files, actually using PackBits is an unecessary
annoyance.  Instead, just format your data as though PackBits had found
it to be incompressible.  This gives you a fixed-size file.  The first
time you open and save it from MacPaint, MacPaint will do the compression
for you.

Good luck!

Ephraim Vishniac
  [apollo, bbncca, cadmus, decvax, harvard, linus, masscomp]!wanginst!vishniac
  vishniac%Wang-Inst@Csnet-Relay

--

               Frank
                                                                      ___