[net.micro.mac] Tandy Flamage

tecot@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Edward Tecot) (07/14/85)

Have to put in my two cents worth (please no net.appropriate comments)

>>Are you trying to say that TANDY is stealing engineers from Apple :-)
>
>Tandy doesn't have that big a sense of humor.

Come now, they must; look at what they're producing.

>>Anyway, who takes Tandy equipment seriously?
>>( Spoken like a true MacBiggot )
>
>People who don't like to wait a hundred years for disk drives, aren't
>color blind, like IBM compatability, and aren't stupid enough to pay
>$3000 for $400 worth of parts (if you don't belive me, open up your
>MAC).

No, instead, they pay $2000 for $400 worth of parts that they can't use
as a computer until they spend $1000 more on things like a monitor,
a monitor board.  BTW, there is more than $400 worth of parts in the Mac;
assuming that you pay the best wholesale prices at quantity one; just the
drive, picture tube, power supply, and memory alone, you would be hard pressed
to get at under $600.  I have a Tandy computer; I have found it most useful
as a doorstop; the weight is right.  Anyone who puts a high precedence
on IBM compatibility has been reading too much PC magazine.  Wake up
and smell the coffee.

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/16/85)

In article <480@cmu-cs-k.ARPA> tecot@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Edward Tecot) writes:
>No, instead, they pay $2000 for $400 worth of parts that they can't use
			^^^^ $1000
							color
>as a computer until they spend $1000 more on things like a monitor,
						           ^
>a monitor board.  BTW, there is more than $400 worth of parts in the Mac;
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ wrong
>assuming that you pay the best wholesale prices at quantity one; just the
>drive, picture tube, power supply, and memory alone, you would be hard pressed
>to get at under $600.

Please explain how Apple gets them for $350 (including casing hardware).

Anyway, *I'd* rather have a Mac than a Tandy, too. Just not at the price
they charge.

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

tecot@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Edward Tecot) (07/19/85)

>>assuming that you pay the best wholesale prices at quantity one; just the
>>drive, picture tube, power supply, and memory alone, you would be hard pressed
>>to get at under $600.
>
>Please explain how Apple gets them for $350 (including casing hardware).

Please note I said quantity one.  Apple buys at quantity 10000 and
higher.  At these quantities, the parts in a Tandy 2000 are worth about
$150.  Regardless of who you deal with (especially Tandy), expect to
pay at least 4 times the original cost.

						_emt

markv@dartvax.UUCP (Mark F. Vita) (07/19/85)

> In article <480@cmu-cs-k.ARPA> tecot@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Edward Tecot) writes:
> >No, instead, they pay $2000 for $400 worth of parts that they can't use
> 			^^^^ $1000
> 							color
> >as a computer until they spend $1000 more on things like a monitor,
> 						           ^
> >a monitor board.  BTW, there is more than $400 worth of parts in the Mac;
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ wrong
> >assuming that you pay the best wholesale prices at quantity one; just the
> >drive, picture tube, power supply, and memory alone, you would be hard pressed
> >to get at under $600.
>
> Please explain how Apple gets them for $350 (including casing hardware).
>
> Anyway, *I'd* rather have a Mac than a Tandy, too. Just not at the price
> they charge.
>

> --
> Charles Forsythe
> CSDF@MIT-VAX
> "Don't get bogged down with details, just eat
>      the stupid peice of paper."
>         -Rev. Wang Zeep

    Just thought I'd throw myself headlong into the fray...
    The following information is from the December 1984 BYTE:

    Tandy Model 2000
       Base Price: $2750

    Optional Hardware:
       Monochrome Graphics: $449
       Color-Graphics Chip Kit: $199
       Monochrome Monitor: $249
       Color Monitor: $799
       128K RAM expansion kit: $299
       External 256K expansion board (with 128K): $499

    Some System Prices:
       Monochrome System with 256K, color/graphics capability  $3946
       Color System with 256K                                  $4496

    I think it should be quite clear that whatever reason people have to
buy the Tandy machine over the Macintosh, it isn't to save money.
    Let me also add that *as IBM-type machines go*, the Tandy 2000 is
by far the most impressive that I've seen.  However, IBM "compatibility"
is a curse which I would not wish on anyone.
--

                                Mark Vita
                                Dartmouth College

                       USENET:  {decvax,cornell,linus,astrovax}!dartvax!markv
                       ARPA:    markv%dartmouth@csnet-relay
                       CSNET:   markv@dartmouth