[net.micro.mac] MiniFinder

stew@harvard.ARPA (Stew Rubenstein) (06/29/85)

A couple of interesting things:  I don't know if it says this anywhere
in the documentation or not (I discovered it by disassembling the INIT
resource), but if you hold down the option key as you exit from an
application, the MiniFinder is bypassed, and the real Finder starts up.
If you use MegaMax C's batch facility, you have probably noticed that
if the minifinder is installed, it gets invoked after each line of
your batch file, and you have to double-click the "batch" program
to go on to the next step.  Holding down the option key throughout the
execution of a batch file is one way around this.  I was thinking of
ways I could rewire my keyboard so that the caps lock would be an
"option lock" instead, when I hit upon the following solution:
Patch the INIT resource so that it checks the Caps Lock key instead
of the Option key!  To do this, use FEdit to search your system file
for the Hex string 67F2 0838 0002 017B 66EA.  The ascii string "Minifinder"
should appear a few lines down.  Patch the 0002 to be an 0001 and
write out the block.  ShutDown, reboot, and presto!  The caps-lock
key is now a real-finder key!

Stew Rubenstein
Harvard Chemical Labs
rubenstein@harvard.arpa
{ihnp4, ut-sally, seismo} ! harvard ! rubenstein

furuta@uw-beaver (Richard Furuta) (07/07/85)

In article <223@harvard.ARPA> stew@harvard.ARPA (Stew Rubenstein) writes:
>A couple of interesting things:  I don't know if it says this anywhere
>in the documentation or not (I discovered it by disassembling the INIT
>resource), but if you hold down the option key as you exit from an
>application, the MiniFinder is bypassed, and the real Finder starts up.

The method seems to be a little buggy, though.  When I tried it, the name of
two of the files on my disk were splattered out across the width of the
window.  When I reentered the minifinder and selected the "Finder" button,
the names were displayed properly.

					--Rick

hal@ecsvax.UUCP (Hal Hunnicutt) (07/16/85)

Anybody out there in Macland able to get programs to quit back
to the minifinder in 4.1?  I can only get it to work once
in a blue moon and I was wondering what the procedure is.

Thanks.

Hal Hunnicutt                 hal@ecsvax
--

        "Ha!  That is an old, worn out magic word..."

jerry@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Jerry Lieberthal) (07/17/85)

> Anybody out there in Macland able to get programs to quit back
> to the minifinder in 4.1?  I can only get it to work once
> in a blue moon and I was wondering what the procedure is.

I have most of my disks now set up with the MiniFinder.  The trick is to
first select those icons that you wish to appear in the MiniFinder, then to
install the MiniFinder.  I always return to the MiniFinder using this
procedure.  Haven't really had any problems with it...

Jerry Lieberthal
ihnp4!uwmcsd1!jerry

markv@dartvax.UUCP (Mark F. Vita) (07/19/85)

> > Anybody out there in Macland able to get programs to quit back
> > to the minifinder in 4.1?  I can only get it to work once
> > in a blue moon and I was wondering what the procedure is.
> >

> I have most of my disks now set up with the MiniFinder.  The trick is to
> first select those icons that you wish to appear in the MiniFinder, then to
> install the MiniFinder.  I always return to the MiniFinder using this
> procedure.  Haven't really had any problems with it...
>
> Jerry Lieberthal
> ihnp4!uwmcsd1!jerry

    There's one other thing which sort of confused me at first.  Once
you've installed the MiniFinder, in order to get it to work properly,
you must launch an application (not the MiniFinder file).  When you
quit the application (and all subsequent applications), you'll get
the MiniFinder window.
    Initially I tried executing the MiniFinder file itself.  This appears
to work at first--you get a MiniFinder window and can start an application
from there.  However, when you quit that application, control returns
to the *Finder*, not the MiniFinder.
    Hope this helps...

--

                                Mark Vita
                                Dartmouth College

                       USENET:  {decvax,cornell,linus,astrovax}!dartvax!markv
                       ARPA:    markv%dartmouth@csnet-relay
                       CSNET:   markv@dartmouth

lsr@apple.UUCP (Larry Rosenstein) (07/20/85)

The feature about quitting back to the MiniFinder was implemented with
patches to the Toolbox that get installed by INIT resources.
Therefore, it will only work if you have booted from a disk that was
updated with the System Update program.  (INIT resource are run only
at boot time.)  It is my understanding that some hard disks require a
special boot disk; if this is the case, then that disk should be
updated as well as the hard disk itself.

--
Larry Rosenstein
Apple Computer

UUCP:  {nsc, dual, voder, ios}!apple!lsr
CSNET: lsr@Apple.CSNET