[net.micro.mac] Recursive data structures with Megamax C?

drf@sdcc3.UUCP (Donald R. Fredkin) (07/19/85)

Yesterday evening I heard the claim at the programmers SIG of the San
Diego Macintosh Users' Group that the Megamax C compiler did not permit
recursive declarations of the following kind:

	struct bucket {
		char data[10];
		struct bucket *next;
	}

I am seriously considering purchasing the Megamax C compiler, and I
would appreciate hearing from Megamax C users whether this is indeed
true.

Thank you.

kim@analog.UUCP (Kim Helliwell ) (07/21/85)

> Yesterday evening I heard the claim at the programmers SIG of the San
> Diego Macintosh Users' Group that the Megamax C compiler did not permit
> recursive declarations of the following kind:
>
> 	struct bucket {
> 		char data[10];
> 		struct bucket *next;
> 	}
>
> I am seriously considering purchasing the Megamax C compiler, and I
> would appreciate hearing from Megamax C users whether this is indeed
> true.
>
> Thank you.

Most definitely NOT true!  I've had no problem at all building linked lists
using this sort of recursive declaration!  Someone is drinking something
stronger than Coke (new or old)!.

Kim Helliwell
hplabs!analog!kim

stew@harvard.ARPA (Stew Rubenstein) (07/22/85)

In article <2953@sdcc3.UUCP> drf@sdcc3.UUCP (Donald R. Fredkin) writes:
>Yesterday evening I heard the claim at the programmers SIG of the San
>Diego Macintosh Users' Group that the Megamax C compiler did not permit
>recursive declarations of the following kind:
>
>	struct bucket {
>		char data[10];
>		struct bucket *next;
>	}
>
>I am seriously considering purchasing the Megamax C compiler, and I
>would appreciate hearing from Megamax C users whether this is indeed
>true.
>
>Thank you.

This is not, repeat NOT, true.  I have used only version 2.0 and later,
so it is possible that this was true in an early release.  But I can
assure you that it is NOT true now.

Stew