[net.micro.mac] Backing Up Large Files

ahby@meccts.UUCP (Shane P. McCarron) (07/09/85)

I'm sure that many of you mac users out there have hard disks.  Well,
at the place I work we have a few Lisa/Mac XLs with 5 and 10 meg hard
disks and VERY large databases on them.  What I'm looking for is a
program to backup a file larger than 400k onto separate diskettes.  I
have a nasty feeling that no such program exists, but I hope it does.
One misplaced magnet or power surge, and some poor secretary is going
to be typing for weeks!
--

Shane P. McCarron
Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation - Technical Services

UUCP	ihnp4!umn-cs!circadia!meccts!ahby

lsr@apple.UUCP (Larry Rosenstein) (07/26/85)

In article <175@meccts.UUCP> ahby@meccts.UUCP (Shane P. McCarron) writes:
>... What I'm looking for is a
>program to backup a file larger than 400k onto separate diskettes.  I
>have a nasty feeling that no such program exists, but I hope it does.

Well, the 5/85 Software Supplement contains a program called DivJoin
that will split the *DATA* fork of a file into pieces that will fit
onto individual diskettes.  The program is very simple (eg., it does
not prompt you for the diskettes, so you need to have enough room on
your hard disk to store 2 copies of the file).  This is a slightly
later version of the program that was distributed with the Smalltalk
release.

I have posted the program to net.sources.mac. Let me know if you have
any problems.

--
Larry Rosenstein
Apple Computer

UUCP:  {nsc, dual, voder, ios, mtxinu}!apple!lsr
CSNET: lsr@Apple.CSNET

maddog@tolerant.UUCP (Bill Arnett) (07/30/85)

Larry Rosenstein of Apple writes
> later version of the program that was distributed with the Smalltalk
> release.

Smalltalk release!?!?!?  What Smalltalk release?  How can I get it?
--
  Bill Arnett             		{ucbvax}!tolerant!maddog
  Tolerant Systems, Inc. San Jose