[net.micro.mac] Moving without the DA/Font Mover.

jeff@mit-eddie.UUCP (Jeff Mattson) (07/28/85)

--------------------

A while ago, I explained a problem with transfering large fonts or
desk accessories with Apple's own DA/Font Mover.  Well, I was able to
find the solution myself.

Moving Desk Accessories: I found a program to convert DA's in the new
DA/Font Mover format to the old DA Mover format.  (I've posted this
program to net.sources.mac.)  I've never had any troubles making the
old DA Mover move.

Moving Fonts: The format for the DA/Font Mover is the same as the
format for the old Font Mover.  You simply need to change the name of
the owner of the font file.  Using FEdit or something similar, change
it from DMOV to FMOV.

			   Don't dream it; BE IT!
			     	Jeff Mattson
			       Jeff@MIT-Eddie
			      497-3980  (work)
			      424-7226  (home)
			    24 Westland Ave. #10
			      Boston, MA 02115

tdn@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA (Thomas Newton) (07/28/85)

You can also use REdit, ResEdit, or RMover.  The Font Mover, Font/DA Mover,
and Desk Accessory Mover are all basically specialized resource movers.  The
difference between Apple's programs and D.A.M. is that D.A.M. doesn't store
desk accessories as resources.  The claimed reason for this is that at the
time that D.A.M. first appeared, BinHex v3.0 (a BASIC program!) did not work
for resource files.  Now the reason for the nonstandard format is gone, but
the format lives on.

                                        -- Thomas Newton
                                           Thomas.Newton@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA

lsr@apple.UUCP (Larry Rosenstein) (07/30/85)

In article <401@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA> tdn@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA (Thomas Newton) writes:
>You can also use REdit, ResEdit, or RMover.  The Font Mover, Font/DA Mover,
>and Desk Accessory Mover are all basically specialized resource movers.

An important difference between Font/DA Mover and (REdit, ResEdit,
RMover) is that when moving desk accessories, the Font/DA Mover tries
to move other resources owned by the DA.  With something like
ResEdit, you have to take care to move these resources yourself.

There are also problems with renumbering the owned resources since
when you move a DA from one file to another, its resource ID might
change (which changed its owned resources' IDs).

I don't know what the Desk Accessory Mover did, but my impression is
that is also tried to account for owned resources.

For fonts, however, I think you can safely use ResEdit, et al.

--
Larry Rosenstein
Apple Computer

UUCP:  {nsc, dual, voder, ios, mtxinu}!apple!lsr
CSNET: lsr@Apple.CSNET