[net.micro.mac] Two simple

stuart@gargoyle.UUCP (Stuart A. Kurtz) (07/22/85)

I have two requests:

1) Is there a version of the Scrapbook which always looks at the system
   disk for the Scrapbook file?  I have a two drive fat mac, and use it
   by having a system disk, and an application disk.  Unfortunately, this
   makes it almost impossible to use the scrapbook to transfer, e.g.,
   MacPaint stuff into Word.  [Note: DA's which change which disk the
   scrapbook looks in would be o.k., but my solution seems simpler...]

2) Has anyone succeeded in getting Word to use a Brother Compectronic (?) 50
   typewriter?  (I've got the IF-50 interface.  I'm not even sure I've got
   it plumbed right though.)

Thanks,

Stu

allison@convexs.UUCP (07/24/85)

The scrapbook ALWAYS looks on the system disk for the scrapbook file.
The problem is that when you launch an application from the finder, the disk
with the application is made the system disk!  This definitely causes the
problems you are having with the scrapbook (and the clipboard).  The best way
I've found to work around this is to remove the system files from the
application disk.  That way, the system disk stays the same, regardless of
which disk the application is on.

Brian Allison
Convex Computer Corp.	allegra!convex!allison
Richardson, TX

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (07/26/85)

In article <522@gargoyle.UUCP> stuart@gargoyle.UUCP (Stuart A. Kurtz) writes:
>I have two requests:
>
>1) Is there a version of the Scrapbook which always looks at the system
>   disk for the Scrapbook file?  I have a two drive fat mac, and use it
>   by having a system disk, and an application disk.  Unfortunately, this
>   makes it almost impossible to use the scrapbook to transfer, e.g.,
>   MacPaint stuff into Word.  [Note: DA's which change which disk the
>   scrapbook looks in would be o.k., but my solution seems simpler...]

I don't know about that, but the Multi-Scrap that went by a short time ago
here on the net is a scrapbook which lets you choose the file, among
standard scrapbook files on either drive, or new multi-scrapbooks, on either
drive.  I'm sure it would work fine for your use.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

"... Don't sue me, I'm just the piano player!...."

henry@rochester.UUCP (07/27/85)

From: Henry.Kautz

the application disk.]

I THINK this is right -- correct me if I'm wrong (but be SURE you're
right!) --

First:  it is NOT TRUE that the "default" disk, the one system goes to
to look for the scrapebook, notepad file, or calender file, is always
the same as the system disk.  The Mac keeps track of
1.  The current STARTUP volume
2.  The current DEFAULT volume
The CLIPBOARD and the currently used version of the SYSTEM are on the
STARTUP volume.  The scrapbook, notepad, etc, are on the DEFAULT volume.

When an application launches, the volume it is on is made the DEFAULT
volume.  IF, in addition, it contains BOTH a system AND a finder, that
volume is also made the STARTUP volume.

During execution of an application, you CANNOT change the STARTUP
volume.  You can, however, freely change the DEFAULT volume.  The
neatest way to do this is with the DISKINFO desk accessory, which has
been freely floating around the net for some time.  Using this, you can
easily access scrapbooks and notepads from any number of volumes, move
data between them, etc.  Try info-mac@sumex-aim for DISKINFO; if you
can't access them, I'm sure some kind sole will post it (our mac/link
is temporarily out of order, o/w I'd oblige....)
---- Henry Kautz
	:uucp:	{seismo|allegra}!rochester!henry
	:arpa:	henry@rochester
	:mail:  Dept. of Comp. Sci., U. of Rochester, NY 14627
	:phone: (716) 275-5766

krk@ihnet.UUCP (k. kinnear) (07/29/85)

> The scrapbook ALWAYS looks on the system disk for the scrapbook file.
> The problem is that when you launch an application from the finder, the disk
> with the application is made the system disk!  This definitely causes the
> problems you are having with the scrapbook (and the clipboard).  The best way
> I've found to work around this is to remove the system files from the
> application disk.  That way, the system disk stays the same, regardless of
> which disk the application is on.

It's true that the system disk would stay the same, but the scrapbook seems to
look on the disk where the current application is.  If the application is the
finder, then this disk is the startup disk.  But if the application is on the
non-system disk the scrapbook looks there.  This habit of the scrapbook can
be annoying.

For example, MacPaint is on my startup disk and MacWrite is on the other disk.
1.) I create a picture in MacPaint.
2.) I cut and paste the picture into the scrapbook.
3.) I quit MacPaint.  I cut and paste something else so the picture is no
    longer on the clipboard.
4.) I start MacWrite on the other disk.
5.) I select Scrapbook on the Apple menu and presto! no such picture.

Kevin Kinnear
AT&T Bell Labs
Naperville IL
(312) 979-6502

mike@smu (07/31/85)

The finder doesn't set the system disk upon launch.  It sets it upon
return from launch IF the disk containing the application contains a
system and finder.

Mike McNally		SMU
mike@smu
...convex!smu!mike