[net.micro.mac] 5/85 Software Supplement: Some

mike@smu (07/30/85)

Has anyone tried to run the REdit that comes with the supplement?  The
one I saw crashed instantly with an 03 error.  I've seen an older
version (maybe 30% of the features described in the manual work) and
it didn't have the crashing problem.

Mike McNally		SMU
mike@smu
...convex!smu!mike

mike@smu (07/31/85)

Correction to my note about REdit crashing; somebody must have screwed
up when loading onto the Hyperdrive (or maybe the Hyperdrive decided
to destroy it).  Anyway, this seems to be the same as the old REdit.
I think its major drawback vis-a-vis ResEdit is that it can't create
new resources.  Pretty severe.  ResEdit, on the other hand, is wildly
unpredictable.  Whenever I close a file, I have to remind myself not
to show any fear, or else it's sure to crash.  Does anybody know why
it beeps sometimes when trying to create an FREF??  In fact, I'd sort
of like to know lots of things about it.  (I don't actually have it; I
use it where I work, and I don't know of any documentation or even
where it came from, so if it sounds like I ripped it off, I'm sort-of
innocent).

Something else on the supplement is the dialog maker (or whatever).
This program seems pretty useful, but I can't seem to get it to create
and alert box properly (it creates an RMaker entry for a DLOG).  Also,
it doesn't seem to be able to set the stage list for alerts.  Etc etc
etc.  Oh well, I guess I'll have to write my own resource compiler
(RMaker is too primitive for my tastes).

Well, it's been fun.

Mike McNally		SMU
mike@smu
...convex!smu!mike

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (08/04/85)

In article <20800028@smu> mike@smu writes:

>of like to know lots of things about it.  (I don't actually have it; I
>use it where I work, and I don't know of any documentation or even
>where it came from, so if it sounds like I ripped it off, I'm sort-of
>innocent).
Redit is intended just for the internationalizing of applications, so
it doesn't operate generally as Resedit will.  Thet both were distributed,
rather freely, by Apple. It's hard to rip off since it was given away.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

"... Don't sue me, I'm just the piano player!...."