[net.micro.mac] spacing

henry@rochester.UUCP (07/22/85)

From: Henry.Kautz

>Subject: laserwriter leading
>From: jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (Joel West)
>Newsgroups: net.micro.mac
>Date: 19 Jul 85 00:27:22 GMT
>
>I'm preparing my first document on the laserwriter and like what I
>see.  I'm only renting it ($.25/page) and so the success of this
>document will probably determine whether I get to buy one or not.
>
>I like Times-12, and so do most other folks.  However, the spacing
>between lines is a little too tight.  From my days in the newspaper
>business, I know that they would increase the leading to make it
>more readable.  They also do that with our newsletter.
>
>Is there an easy way to change Times-12 with MacWrite (or Word,
>if you must) to add about 10% extra spacing?  How hard is it to
>define a new laserwriter font with more spacing?  I don't want
>to spend a month learning postscript, if I can help it.
>
>	Joel West	CACI, Inc. - Federal (c/o UC San Diego)
>	{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww
>	jww@SDCSVAX.ARPA

In WORD, you can set the spacing between lines to whatever you want it
to be -- in fractions of an inch, or points, or centimeters.  Be sure
to get the latest upgrade to WORD before doing your laser-printing --
the original version is very slow at laser printing.  (>2 minutes each
page.)
---- Henry Kautz
	:uucp:	{seismo|allegra}!rochester!henry
	:arpa:	henry@rochester
	:mail:  Dept. of Comp. Sci., U. of Rochester, NY 14627
	:phone: (716) 275-5766

jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (Joel West) (07/27/85)

> From: Henry.Kautz
> In WORD, you can set the spacing between lines to whatever you want it
> to be -- in fractions of an inch, or points, or centimeters.  Be sure
> to get the latest upgrade to WORD before doing your laser-printing --
> the original version is very slow at laser printing.  (>2 minutes each
> page.)
> ---- Henry Kautz

I'd like to thank Henry and all the others who pointed out that MS-WORD
has this arbitrary leading capability.  In the meantime, I have solved
the problem by using the 1 1/2 spacing on MacWrite, which I find too
white but the people who count approve of.

**FLAME ON**
I purchased MS-WORD about 6 months ago, spending $150 of my hard-earned
dollars.  Other than doing one form letter and a few landscape-format
reports (5 pages each), it has remained in the box.

There are some things I like about it, such as
	* obvious improved flexibility over MacWrite
	* arbitrary leading
	* multiple headers in one document
	* horizontal scrolling (why can't MacWrite do this?)
	* ability to move a document on the page without reformatting
	* handles documents with lots of "Returns" (like computer
	  printouts) unlike MacWrite

However, I will not use the current version for anything important because:
	1) Very user-hostile and confusing
	2) Poorly documented
	3) What You See is Not What you Get (such as page headings)
	4) Slow
	5) Undocumented and incompatible file format

The latter might not seem to be as important as the others.  However,
once I import a document into WORD, there's no way to take it out
(without losing all formatting).  Because of this, I dare not start
something in WORD unless I'm sure I want to remain there forever.

With some improvements it could be a very good program (like MS-BASIC
2.0).  Or, I would gladly buy a MacWrite-like product that corrects
the above deficiencies for serious writing.  (Is anyone listening?)

I recently did a 100-page report using Wordstar 2000 on an IBM AT.
I'd previously used "real" Wordstar on a CP-M machine and found it
difficult to get started on, but easy to use once you knew it.
Wordstar 2000 allows nice footnotes, fancy rulers, etc.  However,
it is more cumbersome, confusing, buggy and less desireable than
old Wordstar.

I would submit that MS-Word is the Wordstar 2000 of the Macintosh world.
I'm still waiting for the Easywriter, Volkswriter or PFS Write.

----------
	Joel West	CACI, Inc. - Federal (c/o UC San Diego)
	{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww
	jww@SDCSVAX.ARPA

tdn@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA (Thomas Newton) (07/30/85)

How is MS-WORD more user-hostile and confusing than MacWrite?  At least in
WORD I don't need to devote half the screen area to rulers if I'm typing in
paragraphs with different formats.  I also find the ability to work with more
than one document at a time and to split a window very useful.  MacWrite only
lets you work with one document at a time, and only gives you one view of that
document.

My two major complaints with WORD are

    (1) Although Microsoft put in keyboard equivalents for mouse/menu
        commands, they didn't go far enough.  To move the cursor and
        select text, you must press COMMAND, OPTION, and sometimes the
        SHIFT key in addition to one of the non-alphanumeric keys on the
        right hand side of the keyboard.  When I'm using Emacs, I very
        rarely need to press more than two keys at once.  And what did
        Microsoft do with the more desirable COMMAND-key combinations?
        They devoted them to such "common" functions as repagination!!!

    (2) If you want to change the number of columns in the middle of a
        document, you generally must break across page boundaries.  For
        example, there is no way to print a two-column article with a
        large one-column title/introduction, unless you break it into
        two documents:

            The title page, two-column with a large header and
            with the page boundaries changed

            The rest of the document

        The only way to tell it "break this page into one-column and
        two-column pieces" seems to be to change the page boundaries
        and use an extra-large header on the first page.  But since
        the page boundary setting is global, this screws the rest of
        the document.  So you are forced to break one document into
        two pieces, or to choose a formatting that it can handle.

By and large, the things that WORD has problems with (other than slow printing
on the LaserWriter) seem to be features that don't even exist in MacWrite.  So
yes, WORD has problems, but I'll take it over MacWrite any day of the week.
Now if only they'd put in a basic Gosling EMACS-like set of keyboard commands
(programmability is too much to hope for) and make the formatter smarter about
multi-column documents...

                                        -- Thomas Newton

sakw@cvaxa.UUCP (Sak Wathanasin) (08/10/85)

> By and large, the things that WORD has problems with (other than slow
> printing on the LaserWriter) seem to be features that don't even exist in
> MacWrite.

I have a few gripes (in addition to the ones already posted) that
are not related to WORD "features":

1)  Changing fonts is awkward. I found this out when using the Princeton font
    for equations in running text. Someone else mentioned this in a recent
    posting.
2)  It doesn't show you running headers and footers. Also it ignores the
    margins when printing them, so that I had to produce several drafts to
    get my headers lined up right.  And it takes several levels of menus (3 ?)
    to set up a header or footer.
3)  The paragraph format is held at the end of the para, and can be deleted
    by the backspace key. I was deleting a bunch of stuff with the backspace
    key and didn't take my finger off fast enough - the preceeding para
    suddenly reformatted itself. Took me a while to work out what had
    happened.

I use MacW most of the time, if only because I can convert from MacW to WORD
but not vice versa.
--
Sak Wathanasin, U of Sussex, Cognitive Studies, Falmer, Sussex BN1 9QN, UK
uucp:...mcvax!ukc!cvaxa!sakw  arpa/janet: sakw%svga@uk.ac.ucl.cs

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (08/15/85)

> I have a few gripes (in addition to the ones already posted) that
> are not related to WORD "features":
>
> 1)  Changing fonts is awkward. I found this out when using the Princeton font
>     for equations in running text. Someone else mentioned this in a recent
>     posting.

This one, at least, is easy.  If you type the combination "Command-Shift-E"
and then a digit n, the font which is shown as the nth one in your font
list will be selected.  This has really saved a lot of time.

I tried out the new WORD (Version 1.05) on the LaserWriter today.
What an improvement in speed!  The pages came out just about as fast
as possible (as soon as one page was printed, the next one was about ready).

--
"Men never do evil so cheerfully and so completely as when they do so from
	religious conviction."  -- Blaise Pascal

	Bill Jefferys  8-%
	Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712   (USnail)
	{allegra,ihnp4}!{ut-sally,noao}!utastro!bill	(uucp)
	bill%utastro.UTEXAS@ut-sally.ARPA		(ARPANET)