[net.micro.mac] Cleaning up cluttered DeskTops

johnz@basser.oz (John Zic) (08/27/85)

I have uncovered a REALLY cute problem with Finder 4.1.

The problem is as follows:

    I have been using a disk for quite a while now as a temporary holding
    area, moving files and applications to and from it (quite a lot).
    Just the other night, the disk refused to eject, with a dialog box
    telling me that "there is insufficent memory to eject this disk"..
    "Humm", I thought. "I wonder why this is so?"
    (I have a Thin Mac, by the way)
    So I leapt in with ResEdit, and had a look at the DeskTop File.
    What a mess! Icons (in ICN#), and their associated BNDLs, cluttering
    up the DeskTop. The IMPORTANT THING is that over 90% of the icons and bndls
    were NOT being used by any applications on that disk!!! These are the
    remains of files and applications LONG GONE... over 6 months,in fact!

And I thought that the mac would be clever-er than that!

Question:
    Is there any way of garbage-collecting these icons etc AUTOMATICALLY,
    as opposed to using BFI (brute force and ignorance) and the ResEdit
    to (periodically) delete unwanted things on the DeskTop???

Here's hoping  ) -: )

John Zic
Basser Dept. of Computer Science
Sydney University
NSW 2006 Australia

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (08/28/85)

In article <414@basser.oz> johnz@basser.oz (John Zic) writes:
>I have uncovered a REALLY cute problem with Finder 4.1.
>
>The problem is as follows:
>    up the DeskTop. The IMPORTANT THING is that over 90% of the icons and bndls
>    were NOT being used by any applications on that disk!!! These are the
>    remains of files and applications LONG GONE... over 6 months,in fact!
>Question:
>    Is there any way of garbage-collecting these icons etc AUTOMATICALLY,
>    as opposed to using BFI (brute force and ignorance) and the ResEdit
>    to (periodically) delete unwanted things on the DeskTop???

1) It's not new with finder 4.1. 1.1g had it also.

2) What is new with finder 4.1 is that Option-Command double click on finder to
to launch (hold the two keys down until the menu bar reappears) does not
lose your folders anymore.

3) I have a program I collected from somewhere (probably Compuserve) which
will purge the Desktop.  It's called PurgeIcons.

If I get requests I'll upload it.  If I get flames I will get upset.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

"... Don't sue me, I'm just the piano player!...."

sdh@alice.UucP (Steve Hawley) (08/29/85)

Yes there is a way to garbage collect the desktop.

After turning on the machine (or after a reset) hold down
the option and period keys. This will rebuild the desktop
entirely. That means that all unused icons will be removed,
all desk accessories that are non-standard will be removed,
all folders will lose their names and their correct levels
of nesting.

Hope this helps.

Steve Hawley
alice!sdh