[net.micro.mac] Megabyte Mac Poll Results

evans@mhuxt.UUCP (crandall) (09/13/85)

Here are the results of the Megabyte Mac poll. I've had numerous requests
to post this so here it goes...

Subject: large memory Macs

My Mac has the Levco 2 megabyte upgrade, which cost $900 to install on a
512K machine.  The memory is linear and continuous -- by changing a single
constant in my MacScheme (Lisp) init file I can run very large programs
in a 1.8 megabyte heap (this is the MacScheme heap, which is distinct from
the various Macintosh heaps).  There have been no power supply problems
since the upgrade was installed in mid-July.  The piezoelectric fan that
comes with the upgrade sounds like a very mild case of power supply hum
and it makes the machine run cooler than it did before the upgrade.

Peace, William Clinger
From: ihnp4!ucbvax!ucdavis!deneb!cclynn001 (Chris Borton)

I don't personally have an upgrade, but know a lot of people here in Davis that
got the Bek-Tech upgrade.  We banded together as a user group for 15 upgrades
and got a price of $400 w/o ROMs, which were ~$70.  Most people are happy with
them, but one I talked to said the software to run it is written terribly in
that it works fine, but if you want to go to continuous afterward you have to
redo all your System files.  I'm also sure that Apple won't support anything of
the sort in their ROM upgrades.  I had my mac upped to 512K at Levco (at the
actual place in San Diego) and I was impressed by their operation.  I've heard
only good things about the MonsterMac, and I like the idea of available PROM
sockets and bus access.   The ROM's for Levco don't interfere with Apple's and
improve things a bit, like ejecting BOTH disks on MouseDown startup.  They also
put in a piezo fan that is silent (vibrating membrane) and does the job.  Their
modification does not reguire any disk software (it's in their PROMs) and
every-
thing is socketed.  They also guarantee that they will support it, no matter
how
Apple does their ROM upgrade.

I hope this helps you somewhat.  I'll be interested in hearing other people's
the MonsterMac board (put in your own $2.95 256K chips).  I also know a
company in the Bay Area that is supposedly doing 1.5M ups for ~$450-600, but
I have yet to see one.

Good luck!

Chris Borton
...ucbvax!ucdavis!deneb!cclynn-001

P.S.  Levco is supposedly devoping a hard disk controller to work off their bu
      port.  I'm going to call them and try to verify this.
From: ihnp4!amdahl!sjl	(Steve Langdon)
Subject: Re: Megabyte memory expansion poll
News-Path: hplabs!tektronix!zehntel!vlsvax1!qantel!ihnp4!mhuxt!evans

I had my Mac upgraded to 2 Meg about 6 weeks ago.  A company called CJS Systems
in Berkley did the upgrade using the Levco board and fan.  The cost was $895.
The Levco board gives you contiguous memory in much the same way as the Becktech
board with the special ROM.

I am very happy with the system.  My normal operating environment is to set up
a 1.2 Meg Ramdisk using the Assimilation Process Ramdisk software which was
included in the upgrade price.  This gives me enough space to run two 128K
and two 256K partitions under Switcher 4.3.

I have found very few programs that object to the extra memory.  The best fix
for those that do is to run them under the Switcher with a partition of <= 512K.
I have all of the Microsoft packages (except Basic), MacDraw, MacProject and a
few other things.  One major piece of software I just tried was the newest
version of Mac C from Consulair.  Mac C 4.0 and the new Consulair linker are
a substantial improvement to an already good product.  It runs very well in
the 2 Meg system.

If you have any specific questions feel free to send me some mail.

Steve Langdon  ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!sjl  +1 408 746 6970
From: ihnp4!vlsvax1!zehntel!tektronix!tekchips!messick
Newsgroups: net.micro.mac

In article <1145@mhuxt.UUCP> you write:
>I would be interested in comments from people who have a Mac that is
>larger than 1Meg. Specifically
>
>	- Who did it?
	    Radix, Intl. installed a modification designed by Levco, Inc.
	    of San Diego.  Unfortunately, their address is at home -- if
	    you need it send me a note.

>	- What did it cost?
	    $900

>	- How big is it?
	    2 megabytes (they installed 1.5M)

>	- Do you have a "continuous memory" ROM?
	    I don't know what you mean.  My RAM address space is continuous
	    I believe, but all data stored in it goes away when I power
	    my Mac down.

>	- Did you have any power supply problems? If so was your Mac an
>	  early version.
	    No.  Levco supplies a piezoelectric fan to be installed with
	    their 2M upgrade.  I have to listen hard to detect the fan
	    when using my Mac.  In all honesty I must report that right
	    now my Mac is being checked: it recently has been booting as
	    a 1M Mac (instead of 2M).  Aside from that, I've had no problems.

--steve

From: ihnp4!seismo!rochester!ccice5!dwf (Douglas W. Forehand)
Newsgroups: net.micro.mac

In article <1145@mhuxt.UUCP> you write:
>I would be interested in comments from people who have a Mac that is
>larger than 1Meg. Specifically
>
>	- Who did it?
		I upgraded mine using the Levco 2Meg Kit ( I'm the Rochester
		area distributor for Levco :-) )

>	- What did it cost?
		The retail from Levco for the 2Meg kit is $800. That includes
		the MonsterMac board with 1.5Meg of ram (you must already
		be fat), piezo electric fan, and very complete installation
		guide. For my net buddies who do not have access to a local
		distributor I may be able to offer a special price. Smaller
		sizes can be had in 512k increments. Nifty tiny P.C. board
		based 128k to 512k upgrades are also available for
		approx. $300. If you want the Monster installation done for
		you it will run you an additional $100 plus shipping and
		handling of your Mac.

>	- How big is it?
		It covers approx. 2/3's of the mac board.

>	- Do you have a "continuous memory" ROM?
		Yes, and Levco has no copywrite problems with their ROM's,
		however this is not the case with Bech Tech. By the way Apple
		has tested the MonsterMac board with the new ROM's and said
		it works fine.

>	- Did you have any power supply problems? If so was your Mac an
>	  early version.
		No problems. On a related issue my MonsterMac does not feel
		any warmer than it did when it was merely fat.

	Comments: I am extremely pleased with my setup. Typically I run
			a 1Meg ramdisk (RamStart) with 1Meg of heap. How
			does runing ANY of your favorite compliers out
			of ramdisk sound. Or perhaps Jazz on ramdisk with
			no need for an external drive ( my favorite ). Not
			to mention a Monster System file with more fonts
			and D.A.'s than you Know what to do with. The list
			goes on ....
			Then you may ask : but Doug what do I do about a
			hard disk ?". Well Carol show the people whats
			behind door number 2.... yes its an st-506 hard disk
			contoller board that fits neatly onto the Monster
			boards' option connector. Levco demonstrated a
			proto-type system at the Macworld expo . I was
			impressed . The system setup will consist of the
			controller board inside the mac and the drive(s)
			( yes that's drives , up to four can be connected)
			outside the mac along with a power supply. The
			cables were routed through the security cable slot
			in the back of the mac. My only disapointment is
			that it won't be available till the end of the year,
			pricing is yet to be anounced. Test runs show that
			it is faster than Hyper-driver which is no suprise
			when you consider that you are not limited to
			using a 3.5" winney with 85 ms access time. If you
			have the $dollars you have your choice of several
			5.25" drives that have access times of 30ms or less.

				 Doug Forehand

ATT: (716)482-5000 x2521
E mail: seismo!rochester!ccice5!dwf
US mail: 97 Humboldt st. ; Rochester N.Y. 14609