Date: Mon, 26 Aug 85 10:53:34 pdt
From: Larry Rosenstein <lsr%apple.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: Macintosh Pinouts (VERY LONG!  c. 8000 chars)

It did not occur to me that people would not be able to get the file onto a Mac
easily.  I have enclosed a text version of the same document.

Larry

Macintosh Technical Notes

#10: Pinouts

See also:	Macintosh Hardware Manual

Written by:	Mark Baumwell	April 26, 1985

Modified:	July 23, 1985

This note gives pinout descriptions for the Macintosh ports, Macintosh cables,
and various other products.

Below are pinout descriptions for the Macintosh ports, cables, and various
other products.  Please refer to the Macintosh Hardware chapter for more
information, especially about power limits (the Macintosh Hardware chapter is
included in the May Software Supplement).  Note that any unconnected pins are
omitted.

Macintosh Port Pinouts
Macintosh Serial Connectors (DB-9)

Pin	Name	Description/Notes
1	Ground
2	+5V	See Macintosh Hardware chapter for power limits
3	Ground
4	TxD+	Transmit Data line
5	TxD-	Transmit Data line
6	+12V	See Macintosh Hardware chapter for power limits
7	HSK	HandShaKe:  CTS or TRxC, depends on Zilog 8530 mode
8	RxD+	Receive Data line; ground this line to emulate RS232
9	RxD-	Receive Data line

Macintosh Mouse Connector (DB-9)
Pin	Name	Description/Notes
1	Ground
2	+5V	See Macintosh Hardware chapter for power limits
3	GND	Ground
4	X2	Horizontal movement line (connected to VIA PB4 line)
5	X1	Horizontal movement line (connected to SCC DCDA- line)
7	SW-	Mouse button line (connected to VIA PB3)
8	Y2	Vertical movement line (connected to VIA PB5 line)
9	Y1	Vertical movement line (connected to SCC DCDB- line)

Macintosh Keyboard Connector (RJ-11 Telephone-style jack)
Pin	Name	Description/Notes
1	Ground
2	KBD1	Keyboard clock
3	KBD2	Keyboard data
4	+5V	See Macintosh Hardware chapter for power limits

Macintosh External Drive Connector (DB-19)
Pin	Name	Description/Notes
1	Ground
2	Ground
3	Ground
4	Ground
5	-12V	See Macintosh Hardware chapter for power limits
6	+5V	See Macintosh Hardware chapter for power limits
7	+12V	See Macintosh Hardware chapter for power limits
8	+12V	See Macintosh Hardware chapter for power limits
10	PWM	Regulates speed of the drive
11	PH0	Control line to send commands to the drive
12	PH1	Control line to send commands to the drive
13	PH2	Control line to send commands to the drive
14	PH3	Control line to send commands to the drive
15	WrReq-	Turns on the ability to write data to the drive
16	HdSel	Control line to send commands to the drive
17	Enbl2-	Enables the Rd line (else Rd is tri-stated)
18	RdData 	actually read from the drive
19	WrData 	actually written to the drive

Other Pinouts

Macintosh XL Serial Connector A  (DB-25)
Pin	Name	Description/Notes
1	Ground
2	TxD	Transmit Data line
3	RxD	Receive Data line
4	RTS	Request to Send
5	CTS	Clear To Send
6	DSR	Data Set Ready
7	Ground
8	DCD	Data Carrier Detect
15	TxC	Connected to TRxCA
17	RxC	Connected to RTxCA
24	TEXT	Connected to TRxCA

Macintosh XL Serial Connector B  (DB-25)
Pin	Name	Description/Notes
1	Ground
2	TxD-	Transmit Data line
3	RxD-	Receive Data line
6	HSK/DSR	TRxCB or CTSB
7	Ground
19	RxD+	Receive Data line
20	TXD+/DTR	connected to DTRB

Apple 300/1200 Modem Serial Connector (DB-9)
Modem	Name	Description/Notes
2	DSR	Output from modem
3	Ground
5	RxD 	Output from modem
6	DTR 	Input to modem
7	DCD 	Output from modem
8	Ground
9	TxD 	Input to modem

Apple Imagewriter Serial Connector (DB-25)
ImageWriter	Name	Description/Notes
1		Ground
2		SD	Send Data;  Output from Imagewriter
3		RD	Receive Data;  Input to Imagewriter
4		RTS	Output from Imagewriter
7		Ground
14		FAULT-	False when deselected; Output from Imagewriter
20		DTR 	Output from Imagewriter

Apple LaserWriter AppleTalk Connector (DB-9)
LaserWriter	Name	Description/Notes
1		Ground
3		Ground
4		TxD+	Transmit Data line
5		TxD-	Transmit Data line
7		RXCLK	TRxC of  Zilog 8530
8		RxD+	Receive Data line
9		RxD-	Receive Data line

Apple LaserWriter Serial Connector (DB-25)
LaserWriter	Name	Description/Notes
1		Ground
2		TXD-	Transmit Data;  Output from LaserWriter
3		RXD-	Receive Data;  Input to LaserWriter
4		RTS-	Output from LaserWriter
5		CTS 	Input to LaserWriter
6		DSR 	Input to LaserWriter (connected to DCBB- of 8530)
7		Ground
8		DCD	Input to LaserWriter (connected to DCBA- of 8530)
20		DTR-	Output from LaserWriter
22		RING	Input to LaserWriter

Macintosh Cable Pinouts

Note for the cable descriptions below:

1.  The arrows ("--->") show which side is an input and which is an output.
For example, the notation "a ---> b" means that signal "a" is an output and "b"
is an input.

2.  When pins are said to be connected on a side in the Notes column, it means
the pins are connected on that side of the connector.

Macintosh Imagewriter Cable (part number 590-0169)
Macintosh Name		Imagewriter	Notes
(DB9)			(DB25)
1	Ground		1
3	Ground		7 		pins 3, 8 connected on Macintosh side
5	TxD---->RD	3		RD = Receive Data
7	HSK<---	DTR	20
8	RxD+=GND			Not connected on Imagewriter side
9	RxD-<---SD	2		SD = Send Data

Macintosh Modem Cable (Warning! Don't use this cable to connect 2 Macintoshes!)
(part number 590-0197-A)

Macintosh Name		Modem		Notes
(DB9)			(DB9)
3	Ground		3		pins 3, 8 connected on EACH side
5	TxD---->TxD	9
6	+12V--->DTR	6
7	HSK<---DCD	7
8	No wire		8
9	RxD-<---RxD	5

Macintosh to Macintosh Cable (Macintosh Modem Cable with pin 6 clipped on both
ends.)

Macintosh Name		Macintosh	Notes
(DB9)			(DB9)
3	Ground		3		pins 3, 8 connected on EACH  side
5	TxD---->RxD-	9
7	HSK<---DCD	7
8	No wire		8
9	RxD-<---TxD-	5

Macintosh External Drive Cable (part number 590-0183-B)

Macintosh	Name	Sony Drive
(DB9)			(20 Pin Ribbon)
1		Ground	1
2		Ground	3
3		Ground	5
4		Ground	7
6		+5V	11
7		+12V 	13
8		+12V 	15
10		PWM	20
11		PH0 	2
12		PH1 	4
13		PH2	6
14		PH3	8
15		WrReq-	10
16		HdSel	12
17		Enbl2-	14
18		Rd	16
19		Wr	18

Macintosh XL Null Modem Cable (part number 590-0166-A)

Macintosh XL	Name		DTE	Notes
(DB25)				(DB25)
1		Ground		1
2		TxD---->RxD	3
3 		RxD-<---TxD	2
4,5		RTS,CTS --->DCD	8	pins 4,5 connected together
6		DSR<---DTR	20
7		Ground		7
8		DCD<---RTS,CTS	4,5	pins 4,5 connected together
20		DTR--->DSR	6

Macintosh to Non-Apple product Cable Pinouts

Macintosh to IBM PC Serial Cable #1 (not tested)
Macintosh Name			IBM PC	Notes
(DB9)				(DB25)
3	Ground			7	pins 3, 8 connected on Macintosh side
5	TxD---->RxD		3
7	HSK<---DTR		20
8	RxD+=Ground			Not connected on IBM side
9	RxD-<---TxD		2
	CTS <--- RTS		4-5	pins 4,5 connected on IBM side
	DSR <--- DCD,DTR	6-8-20	pins 6,8,20 connected on IBM side

Macintosh to IBM PC Serial Cable #2 (not tested)
5		TxD---->RxD	3
9		RxD-<---TxD	2
		CTS <--- RTS	4-5	pins 4, 5 connected on IBM side
		DSR <--- DTR	6-8	pins 6, 8 connected on IBM side

[I am posting this for those who cannot FTP it from SUMEX.  --RMA]
GARY A. MORRIS -- TeleSoft, San Diego, CA   (619) 457-2700
		  (UUCP) ...{decvax,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!telesoft!garym
"Always listen to experts.  They'll tell you what can't be done
 and why.  Then do it."  	--  Lazarus Long