[net.micro.mac] Dead Mac error codes

lawrence@encore.UUCP (Scott Lawrence) (09/17/85)

Well, that which we all fear happened to me Saturday -
I got up and turned on my Mac and got a "dead mac"
icon with a number under it.  I know from prior experience
that this means take it to my freindly Apple dealer and
be prepared to spend some money, but it occured to me that
_someone_ must know what that number means ( It isn't the
same as last time ).  I wasn't on usenet last time, and my
dealer wouldn't give me the list - does anyone out there have
a list of what these codes are ?  It won't really help, but
I would like to know ( this time it's 041000 ).
--
-----
    Scott Lawrence

garym@telesoft.UUCP (Gary Morris @shine) (09/20/85)

[this line provided at no extra charge for line eaters everywhere]

In article <227@encore.UUCP> lawrence@encore.UUCP (Scott Lawrence) writes:
>I got up and turned on my Mac and got a "dead mac"
>icon with a number under it.  ...
>I would like to know ( this time it's 041000 ).

Scott,
   You have a bad memory chip at position G9 on the main logic board.  If
you're handy with and have a high quality soldering iron you could replace
the chip yourself for under $5.  If you take it a dealer they will replace
the main logic board for $137.28 (that's what it cost me).  That happened to
me before I knew what the error codes meant.  If I had known then, I would
have replaced the chip.

Dr. Dobbs Journal, January, 1985 had an article "Fatten Your Mac" on pg. 18
that gave complete instructions for performing a 512k upgrade yourself, it
also gave a good description of the power on diagnostics performed by the ROM
which I will summarize here.

  -- GaryM

[General disclaimer:  This posting is in no way related to my employer.]

-------------------

  Before starting diagnostics, you must have the programmers switch installed
on the left side of the Mac.  Hold down the Interrupt button (rear button)
and then press Reset button or power on Mac.

  A sad Mac icon appears with a numeric code under it.  If all is OK then the
code is 0F 000D, and some bits will cycle under the code to indicate that the
memory test program is running.  The numeric code has two parts; for example
0F is the class code and 000D is the sub code (see tables).  The class code
tells what part of the diagnostic program found the error and the sub code
tells what the error was.  Each of the sixteen bits in the sub code identifies
one of the sixteen memory chips (class codes 2-5 only).

  If the diagnostics find more than one bad chip, the sub code displays
multiple bits.  For example if bit 3 is bad, the diagnostics display sub code
0008.  If both bit 3 and bit 10 are bad, the sub code would be 0408.  If
the diagnostics find a bad chip you'll have to replace it or find the problem
on the board.

	Diagnostic Codes (Table I)
Class Code			Sub Code
----------			--------
1 = ROM test failed		Meaningless
2 = Memory test - bus subtest	Identifies bad chips (see Table II)
3 = Memory test - byte write	Identifies bad chips	    "
4 = Memory test - Mod3 test	Identifies bad chips	    "
5 = Mem test - addr uniqueness  Identifies bad chips	    "
F = Exception 			Identifies exception cause (see Table III)

	Chip Identification (Table II)
Data Bit	Location	Sub Code Bits
--------	--------	-------------
   0		F5		0001
   1		F6		0002
   2		F7		0004
   3		F8		0008
   4		F9		0010
   5		F10		0020
   6		F11		0040
   7		F12		0080
   8		G5		0100
   9		G6		0200
   10		G7		0400
   11		G8		0800
   12		G9		1000
   13		G10		2000
   14		G11		4000
   15		G12		8000

Exception Sub Codes (Table III)
Code	Reason
----	-------------
0001	Bus error
0002	Address error
0003	Illegal instruction
0004	Zero divide
0005	Check instruction
0006	Traps instruction
0007	Privilege violation
0008	Trace
0009	Line 1010
000A	Line 1111
000B	Other exception
000C	Nothing
000D	Normal Indication

--
GARY A. MORRIS -- TeleSoft, San Diego, CA   (619) 457-2700
		  (UUCP) ...{decvax,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!telesoft!garym

flip@osu-cgrg.UUCP (Flip Phillips) (09/21/85)

> I would like to know ( this time it's 041000 ).
> --

*** REPLACE THIS sad mac WITH YOUR fist ***

according to the 'sad mac icon' publication of 10/83 (which might not be right):

the number 04 1000 points to two things.
the '04' says it failed an 'initial diagnostic'. The test in question is
the 'Mod3Test'.

'1000' points to the bad chip.  the chip in question would be chip 12.
shouldnt ba a problem to fix it yourself.

flip