[net.micro.mac] MacDraw data structures.

fjo@ttrdc.UUCP (Frank Owen ) (09/30/85)

Does anybody out there know the format of data structures that
MacDraw uses? What's the difference between a drawing stored in
PICT format and MacDraw format? What IS the PICT format?
Inside Macintosh does NOT tell how graphic elements are stored
in PICT format. It is relatively easy to pass pointers to PICTs
to draw them onto various bitmaps, but what I want to do is
convert the PICT or MacDraw file into other more standard graphic
file formats. (Like a pic file on UNIX for shipping to laser printers,
or some Virtual Device Interface file format for use with other
computers)
 To do this I will need to know the EXACT format of the data file.

	If anyone knows these data structures I would appreciate the
info. If I get enough responces, I will post to the net.

	Frank Owen
	(..ihnp4!ttrdc!fjo)

jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (Joel West) (10/04/85)

In article <463@ttrdc.UUCP>, fjo@ttrdc.UUCP (Frank Owen ) writes:
> Does anybody out there know the format of data structures that
> MacDraw uses? What's the difference between a drawing stored in
> PICT format and MacDraw format? What IS the PICT format?

The format of a QuickDraw picture is now published as a Macintosh
Technical Note.  A subscription to same is allegedly available
from Apple.  (alleged only in that I sent a check and have seen
no issues, but have copies of a friend's).

Before this published standard, Bill Atkinson told me the following
at the MacWorld expo in SF:
	1) Look at the end of the QD section for "Standard" procedures.
	2) Write your own program to trap and journal each standard call
	3) Replay the picture with DrawPicture and watch what
	   happens.

If you're trying to convert from a PICT to DVI, this is probably
the best approach anyway--you get a structure instead of a bit
stream.

	Joel West	CACI, Inc. - Federal (c/o UC San Diego)
	{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww
	jww@SDCSVAX.ARPA