[net.micro.mac] Steve Jobs versus his child

gnu@l5.uucp (John Gilmore) (09/26/85)

Any comments on the Steve Jobs fiasco?  Personally, I'm rooting for
Jobs.  If Apple has become a big dumb company, its good employees
should be ENCOURAGED to go off and form startup(s), where they can do
good things for society instead of battling petty departmental
politics.  In recent Apple moves (firing Jobs, hassling him afterward)
bigness and dumbness are certainly evident.

(Followups to net.micro only, please.)

dan@gumby.UUCP (09/27/85)

> Any comments on the Steve Jobs fiasco?  Personally, I'm rooting for
> Jobs.  If Apple has become a big dumb company, its good employees
> should be ENCOURAGED to go off and form startup(s), where they can do
> good things for society instead of battling petty departmental
> politics.  In recent Apple moves (firing Jobs, hassling him afterward)
> bigness and dumbness are certainly evident.

In the category of terminal bigness, dumbness, and arrogance:  Jobs'
enthusiasm for closed architecture, and his insistence that the only
developers Apple would give the time of day to were the big ones
(Microsoft, Lotus, etc.), takes a bigger cake than anything done by
the surviving Apple management.

According to John Sculley, the man who tossed Jobs, the next generation
of Apple machines will have an open architecture, and Apple will be
immediately working to improve its relations with, and support for,
third party developers.  Sounds good to me.

lbg@gitpyr.UUCP (Lee B Grey, Programmer Extraordinaire) (09/29/85)

In article <159@l5.uucp>, gnu@l5.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
> Any comments on the Steve Jobs fiasco?  Personally, I'm rooting for
> Jobs.  If Apple has become a big dumb company, its good employees
> should be ENCOURAGED to go off and form startup(s), where they can do
> good things for society instead of battling petty departmental
> politics.  In recent Apple moves (firing Jobs, hassling him afterward)
> bigness and dumbness are certainly evident.

Hear, hear! (Or is it "Here, here!"?)

stuart@bcsaic.UUCP (stuart gove) (10/02/85)

>> Any comments on the Steve Jobs fiasco?  Personally, I'm rooting for
>> Jobs.  If Apple has become a big dumb company, its good employees
>> should be ENCOURAGED to go off and form startup(s), where they can do
>> good things for society instead of battling petty departmental
>> politics.  In recent Apple moves (firing Jobs, hassling him afterward)
>> bigness and dumbness are certainly evident.
>>

>In the category of terminal bigness, dumbness, and arrogance:  Jobs'
>enthusiasm for closed architecture, and his insistence that the only
>developers Apple would give the time of day to were the big ones
>(Microsoft, Lotus, etc.), takes a bigger cake than anything done by
>the surviving Apple management.
>
>According to John Sculley, the man who tossed Jobs, the next generation
>of Apple machines will have an open architecture, and Apple will be
>immediately working to improve its relations with, and support for,
>third party developers.  Sounds good to me.

Ditto.  However unfortunate the circumstances were that led to Jobs'
dismissal, the fact remains that he attempted to target the business
market with the Mac without listening to what business users wanted.
Apple management appears willing now to opening the Mac's architecture,
a move which will certainly improve the Mac's market potential.

-----
					Stuart Gove
					Boeing Computer Services

"I was a narrator for bad mimes." -- Steven Wright

kucharsk@gumby.UUCP (10/08/85)

> >> Any comments on the Steve Jobs fiasco?  Personally, I'm rooting for
> >> Jobs.  If Apple has become a big dumb company, its good employees
> >> should be ENCOURAGED to go off and form startup(s), where they can do
> >> good things for society instead of battling petty departmental
> >> politics.  In recent Apple moves (firing Jobs, hassling him afterward)
> >> bigness and dumbness are certainly evident.
> >>

> >In the category of terminal bigness, dumbness, and arrogance:  Jobs'
> >enthusiasm for closed architecture, and his insistence that the only
> >developers Apple would give the time of day to were the big ones
> >(Microsoft, Lotus, etc.), takes a bigger cake than anything done by
> >the surviving Apple management.
> >
> >According to John Sculley, the man who tossed Jobs, the next generation
> >of Apple machines will have an open architecture, and Apple will be
> >immediately working to improve its relations with, and support for,
> >third party developers.  Sounds good to me.
>
> Ditto.  However unfortunate the circumstances were that led to Jobs'
> dismissal, the fact remains that he attempted to target the business
> market with the Mac without listening to what business users wanted.
> Apple management appears willing now to opening the Mac's architecture,
> a move which will certainly improve the Mac's market potential.
>

> -----
> 					Stuart Gove
> 					Boeing Computer Services
>
> "I was a narrator for bad mimes." -- Steven Wright

Personally, I wish Mr. Jobs all the luck in the world.  Apple was started to
get computers to the people, and now they're just a business, like everyone
else.  Too bad.